Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 71B Code 125 with Shadow Meter Info

OK, I've seen a couple of pictures of Code 123 chassis, which have individual shields around the RF tubes, plus a shield around the first AF tube. One also had a shadow meter plus a socket for the speaker wires, whereas the Code 125 is hard wired (no socket and plug).

Since the shields were in place, I could not see the ring at the bottom, but I can confirm that one radio that was missing the RF shields did have the rings around the RF tubes, meaning it was designed for individual shields.

Still looking for a Code 125 chassis to confirm.

The shield in this picture would just rattle around my tube with nothing to hold on to, or ground to.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexwrt/65...otostream/

Also, here, looking like another Code 123 from what I can barely read if i zoom in on the label. One picture shows the rings on the chassis where the RF tube shields are missing.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/a...-132764689

Still looking for a Code 125 like mine, or a shield that will hold to the tube without rattling around because of no ring on the bottom.

Dan

"Why, the tubes alone are worth more than that!" (Heard at every swap meet. Gets me every time!)

Philcos: 90, 70, 71B, 610, 37-61 40-81, 46-420 Code 121 to name a few.
Plus enough Zeniths, Atwater Kents and others to trip over!

My "Super" 71 chassis was based on a Code 221 chassis, modified to use a single speaker by me (changed to Code 121). It has the shield over the 1st AF tube.

It is my opinion that all model 71 sets had this shield. Further, it is also my opinion that the shield base on your set was removed at some point by someone. It could have corroded to the point that the shield was stuck over the base, and would not come off until shield and base were pried off from the bottom. If the corrosion was bad enough, it could have preserved the rivets in place. I think Steve Davis is absolutely correct in his analysis of this.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

OK, the time for denial is over, and on closer inspection, as well as having seen at least one Code 125 with a shield over the 39/44 tube, I must conclude that Steve Davis was right, that some person, for reasons I can't even fathom, decided that mangling the tuner wasn't enough, and did, somehow, manage to remove the ring for the tube shield that should have been around the socket.

So, I guess I now have to find another chassis to steal a ring from, and figure out where to get those hollow rivets so I can still feed the grid wire through.

That explains why one my RF shields is different (no slot for the grid wire), because that's the one that was supposed to be around the first AF tube.

I guess I should be glad the RF coils are (hopefully still) good!

Thanks, Steve Davis, for pointing me in the right direction, even though I refused to see!

This radio is trying to kill me, but I refuse to let it get away without playing music from inside the cabinet without howling or distortion! (Work, D**n you! You're not gonna die on my watch!)

Dan

"Why, the tubes alone are worth more than that!" (Heard at every swap meet. Gets me every time!)

Hi, everyone:

While looking for something else (and waiting on a shield and new ring for my 71B discussed above), I stumbled on this little tidbit on Page 187 (185 in the PDF), of the Gernsback Radio Service Manual Volume 4:
\
-----
Models 71 and 22L
Refer to Service Bulletins 128-128A

Below run No. 3 on 71-125B, run No. 2 on both 71-125 and 71-225; tone control (39) part number 05153 was changed to part number 04787. A part number 3903AH condenser was connected from plate of I output tube type (42) to ground on chassis.

The tube shield used on detector amplifier tube was changed to new shield part number 8005.

Condenser (49) part number 3793-H was changed to part number 3793-R.

-----
(I don't remember where I downloaded the Gernsback books, but they were free on line somewhere.)

This refers to the different tone control I found in mine, plus the extra tone capacitor off the plate of the output tube, but more curiously, it refers to a Bulletin 128A, that I have not found anywhere, which probably contains the updated schematic of the 71 Code 125 with shadow meter.

I hope someone in this Phorum can find and scan Bulletin 128A for those of us who may run across a Code 125 71 like mine.

Dan

OK, I think I've answered my own question, and found a Philco Bulletin 128A on eBay, which I will scan and upload to the Phorum once I receive it, since it appears we don't have one here.

However, the schematic is for the 22L, which uses the same chassis as the 71B, and I think this one is the same as the pre-Code 125 71 series, which doesn't show the new tone control and capacitor off the 42 tube plate. We'll see once I have the full bulletin in my hands.

Dan

I must have missed Ron's reply of 5/11/2019 while I was composing my own, and only just spotted it now, on the 26th of May. Yes. The shield being rusted completely to the base is definitely possible with this chassis, and would seem to explain one more indignity suffered by this unfortunate radio! (Or fortunate since I'm still new enough to the hobby to spend way more time and effort than a 71B is worth, just to save it.)

Soon it will be playing again, and will fit in with the other Philcos without anyone thinking it's a freak (unless they take a close look at the speaker).

Dan