Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-265 Code 121

Hi:  I  am wondering if there is  a difference between the  41-265  and  the 41-265 code 121.  I ask because I am  using a 41-265 schematic and  see a difference in a couple of caps shown in the photo of the schematic.    The schematic says #49 is a .006uf cap. Instead it is a .01uf/1200 volt cap.   #47 is supposed to be a .01 uf cap but is .05uf .   The label on my chassis says  model 41  code 121  (shown in photo) . It is possible someone changed the caps at some point.   It looks like the electrolytics had been changed decades ago.  I'd be interested if anyone who has restored this chassis could enlighten me on what they found.

Attached Files Image(s)

The Code 121 simply represents the first version of the model. I don't know if there was ever a code 122 but there were often changes made during production runs that did not involve a code # change, a run# change or even documentation of any type. The 41-265 is the US version and the 41 model you have was made for Canada. The differences in the caps you mentioned are not unusual. During actual manufacturing they might have used something different than the schematic because that was what was available and the differences were not significant enough.

Thanks Bob.  The values I see on the other components look to be the same as the schematic so do you think it would be acceptable to replace the caps according to the schematic?

Fredericton,  N.B.  Canada

Yes, that's what I would do. You might want to also read this about the rubber wiring in some of these sets... https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...2-philcos/

I'll go w/the large value for 47 and the smaller value for 49. This will give you a little bit better frequency response.

In a former life I use to work for Savin Corp in the '80s

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Copiertech

You have a Canadian Philco model 41, not a USA 41-265. The Canadian 41 is similar, but (as you have discovered) not exactly identical to the USA 41-265.

For a correct schematic, you need the Canadian model 41 schematic.

Oh, and one more thing - please go to your User CP and add a city and state/province to your profile - it is mandatory. Thanks.
https://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showt...?tid=12243

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Listen to Ron...he knows a lot more than I do...  Icon_thumbup

copiertech...I went ahead and updated your city and province for you since I may have given you some confusing info...

Thanks for the advice Ron.   So my radio is just a model 41  with no additional numbers.  That might explain why the speaker  is smaller than pictures I have seen of the 41-265.  Also the field coil  resistance is  just about 250 ohms,  not the 1700 ohms in the 41-265.  The tube layout is the same. I  have looked  at nostalgiair but I haven't seen a schematic for the 41.  If anyone has  one handy I would appreciate a copy.

Fredericton,  N.B.  Canada

https://antiqueradioschematics.org/schem...canada.htm

I once bought a schematic from Steve and I have seen his table at the Kutztown show. Other than than I don't know him.