Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Automatic Radio 8track adapter

looking for any tech info on this.
ON the back it says

"Radio PAK AFM"

I think it is model AFM-9680

I wouldl like to understand what the external friction connections do and if its possible some internal information as well.

I have two of these so if anyone wants one as well let me know, 304 772 3411

Attached Files Image(s)

wow its been a long time since I seen one of them  umm 40 yrs ago Icon_eek
I believe  not sure  been long time
slide into your 8trac and turn button on push button in front is am/fm
and silver long knob is tuner
should have a magnetic head  like old cassettes did

would not mind having one

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

an fm only one sold on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Radio-...7675.l2557

this guy may be able to help you

http://www.ccdx.org/ar/ar.htm

down to bottom he has same one

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Yeah, i found that link and cant see how to contact him.
i have a clue though,clicking on the webmaster link gets me what appears to be his email.
his site was last updated in 2013,, not sure if i am contacting anyone or not.

clicking send now.

email worked, he replied just now.
He has none of these and he has no info on it.

i am wanting to open it up and see how i get it integrated into input power source, an antenna and a speaker and make it work as a stand alone radio.

Pretty cool piece of history there!  I had my share of 8 track car decks back in the day, but never used one of those.  I'm not sure how it got power or antenna, but if you're wanting to use it as a stand-alone radio you'll need to amplify the output.  It connected to the tape head someway and used the 8 track deck to amplify and control volume, etc.

It would make a better display if you found an old 8 track car deck to plug it into, then all you'd need is 12 volts and a couple of speakers.

I have used cassette adapters to play MP3 players through a factory car cassette system.  They also fed through the tape heads but didn't need power or an antenna and they worked a lot better than I thought they would:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716Y...i=13981611

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I had one of these,,,it had a rubber bumper that went agains the head of the 8 -track machine,,,How it worked ,,could never figure out,,,good luck---CHEERS

Why re-invent the wheel? What I would do is pick up a stand alone eight track tape deck from a garage sale or second hand shop, one that has a power amp built in, and use it as it was intended. As for how it operates I am not certain, it may steal power from the solenoid circuit, but how it inputs audio into the tape decks amp is another story, I guess it uses the playback head of the eight track deck.
Regards
Arran

it is power BY,,,believe it or NOT----9 volt battery