Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tuning capacitor cleaning?

What are you all using, if anything, to clean these old tuning capactors?  I see they make different brands of contact cleaner.  Thanks,

OK. I used Blue Shower cleaner this time, did not want to take it out and soak.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

An ultrasonic cleaner with a dilute solution of dish detergent in hot water works well.

In all honesty, the dirtiest cap does just fine without any ultrasonics, just dish detergent and long bristled soft paint brush. Comes out clean.
Ultrasonic is for dirt that sticks.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

If I have it out of the chassis, I run it a cycle through the dishwasher with my load of dishes, then let it sit in an oven for an hour or so at its' lowest setting to dry it out completely.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I have heard of others doing what Gary does. They have all said it works beautifully! I know (first hand) of a person who washes chassis' in the dishwasher and especially dirty ones with a pressure washer before they go into the dishwasher. Apparently, with some sensible precautions there are no resulting problems. I don't have that much nerve!!

I ran two caps through the dishwasher.
While they did not suffer (not much, anyway) - dishwasher does a number on all my aluminum things, it dulls them - the caps came out somewhat dull and there was, however little, that powdery residue on them.

I actually got better results with soaking in warm water with Ajax dish soap and then the long soft brush.

But the last one, due to no desire to unsolder all that rubber wiring that was still good etc, plus no need to change the grommets, I simply used a can of the duster first, blew all the dust, and then used the Blue Shower cleaner from Techspray. It is clean, shiny, and no water, so nothing to dry up much - the tech cleaner sprays evaporate fairly fast with no need to go in the oven.

Well I brush 'em of and if need be to the garage with the air pump and then spray with DEOXIT which will lube a bit and let it dry for a day. Also release the trimmers and spray 'em well and note how many turns so as to aid in getting alignment back .

I have this relatively new book called "RF Circuit Design". The author specifically writes a short blurb about cleaning these caps and he recommended in addition to the ultra sonic method, using Birchwood Casey firearm cleaner.

Thnx everyone. I did finally clean this old tuner with spray electrical contact cleaner I purchased at Home Depot. Seems to have come out nice and clean and they operate clean and static free.