Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Superheterodyne Philco Model 60

Hello all and thank you for allowing me to join your group!

I recently obtained a Philco Superheterodyne cathedral style model 60 tabletop radio. I am a very small collector but am interested in communicating with other members. Can anybody tell me much about this radio, quality, scarcity, age? It seems to be a nice one and can pick up a few stations. The case has imperfections and the finish is dulled in places. I also have a few L632 G.E. tabletop radios with short wave. Those are really simple radios but I like the looks of them. Thank you for any and all responses!  Icon_confused  dave

I restored a 60 less than a year ago.
It is a mediocre radio, with just so-so acoustics for a tabletop, but for a collector like myself it is a piece of Philco history and is worth restoring and keeping. My 60 is this one (there are a few other cabinet types including a small tombstone)

http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1936b/#Model_60B

A very typical problem is the oscillator coil open, and other RF coils also.
Otherwise simple to restore.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

welcome here dave,

probably more info than you will ever want on model 60 may be found here:

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=15007

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Dave and welcome,
Methinks the model 60 is one of the most popular Philco's set. If you look on epay there is always a handful of them. For 1933 or34 technology it's a pretty average set. From my vantage point it's biggest drawback is that it's band 2 coverage has very little on it these days. It tops out at 4mc which does include the top end on the bcb (back then it ended at 1500kc) the 160meter and 80meter ham bands. At time of manufacture it was populated with police calls which probably made for some interesting listening. When you get up to abt 6mc-12mc there are a lot more sw stations to hear.
The 60 has a cousin the 66 that the top of the chassis looks the same but has much better SW coverage. I've got both around somewhere the 60 I fixed up in the early 80's, the 66 is on the waiting list.
When you get a minute post a few pic's of it!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I also have both 60 and 66, both fixed and working.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Ron's thread on the evolution of the 60 is a super resource for the 60! There are also a number of restoration threads for the 60 on the Phorum.

Thank you to all who helped with this information. You all are a wealth of knowledge. Icon_smile