Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1973 Philco Ford TV Help!

Hello everyone,

I recently brought home a 1973 Philco TV in near perfect condition (my first vintage TV so im new to restoration!).
It worked great all weekend, minus recieving only static because I hadnt yet attached a digital antenna or VHF receiver.
This morning I turned it on and all I got was a dead screen, no static or anything. I tried turning the vhf uhf connectors on the back, turning up the brightness all the way, but the screen is blank. 
Is it an electronics issue inside the TV? Maybe something got knocked loose? Any help would be greatly appreciated! What a great TV and I would love to get something on the screen!

Thanks,

Rod

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I've not worked onTVs so can't really help.

Rod

Welcome.

It would help for you to use a bit more precise language.

First, this:

>>>It worked great all weekend, minus recieving only static....
What does that mean? If it works perfect, it would receive something other that static. Also, any TV with analog antenna (even those made in 21st cebtury) will receive nothing today without the Digital TV adapter.

>>>... but the screen is blank

Does this mean "screen does not light up at all?" - to me "blank screen" means "no image but lights up".

So. The most I understood so far, if I interpreted the last sentence right, the screen is dark no matter what you do.

When turning on before, have you heard "static" sound from inside the TV (high voltage coming on?) Has it since disappeared?
What you have, if this is the case (dark screen) might mean many things but most likely 1) either the High voltage is no longer (better), or 2) the tube is dead (worse). Could be other things.

In any event you will likely need to go inside and fix it if you are savvy enough. If not, TV is an extremely serious and dangerous thing and I would hire a pro.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thank you. That is what I meant to say, TV does not light up at all.
I have found a few repair places around my area so I will try and see what they can do for me.

Thanks!

Early 70's - that's a transition era, and it could be either tube or transistor or a mix. It had probably set in storage for a long time without use. Most likely you failed an electrolytic capacitor in the low voltage power supply. I 2nd Mike - (Morzh), unless you have TV experience, best to stay out of it. There are some very dangerous voltages in there.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44