Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 20 ?

I have a Revised Philco 20 I will be working on for a client, and it has what looks like a factory installed dial light, mounted in front of the tuning condenser. I'll check my early version 20B tomorrow and report back....

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

At first, model 20 sets did not have a dial light. Sometime early on during production of the 20, a dial lamp was added. As was typical of Philco, it was not documented. So if yours has one and it looks as old as the rest of the chassis, be assured it is likely factory installed.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Mine looks factory.. It uses a 6-8 volt bulb tied to the Filament winding of the 71-A tubes..

Directly on the Transformer. Pins 7 and 8..

[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4651/3935...a0bc_b.jpg]

Skip

Have seen the 20 chassis w/o and w/ a lamp.
But most have bad rf coils.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ok next question.. Alignment..I received Chucks package with instructions and schematics.. However The Alignment is very vague..

Does anyone have alignment instructions with location of the Trimmers? This is for the later model with 3 adjustments on the tuning Cap..

Thanks
Skip

Set it to 1440 and peak the 3 trimmers. Done.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That's two easy

Skip

Speaking of bad RF coils in the 20, I still haven't resolved mine...

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Ok powered up .. 115 Volts at .62 amps.. Received stations across band using a 2 foot antenna..

Looking good..

B+ 252 Volts..

Not going to mess with alignment as Receiving good..

Skip...

Skip

as it is a TRF, the alignment is super-easy. But that could improve your sensitivity a whole lot. of course, only if you are going to listen to it; as a demo unit, it's ok the way it is.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ok I guess it cannot hurt..

I will give it a try..

Skip...

>Speaking of bad RF coils in the 20, I still haven't resolved mine...
Gotta get busy and rewind the primary. I got Skip a chassis but the coil he needed form it was open popped it out and rewound the pri in a 1/2 hour or so sitting around watching the Match Game on tv. I know I need a life!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, The one you rewound is working perfect..I also used a couple of the Bakelite caps and re stuffed them. A couple of mine were broken..

Also used your Capacitor Can .. Re stuffed and just swapped it.. That worked great..

I was lucky that the speaker and Field coil were good.. Radio doesn't sound that bad..

Alignment did help a little..

Now need speaker cloth..

Skip...