Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-84

Started working on Philco 37-84 the other day....Very nice radio and in good shape. Seems someone has changed out this volume control at some point. Print calls for a 20K pot and I am measuring over 2meg on the winding. It is a Philco part but don't believe it's the original part (maybe I'm wrong). Seems I get nothing out of the speaker until I turn control more than half way and then there is little adj. left. Also found the parts list had a mistake with a resistor value. The print show it as being a 240K resistor but the parts list show it as a 24K (this is resistor #22). Trying to find resistors with the same values as on the print are sometimes difficult so I just add, parallel resistors to get the proper value for the ones that are WAY out of tollerance.

Is there anyplace I could purchase a CORRECT volume/on-off switch for this unit and also, the tuner Dial needle is missing. Yes I could rig something but would like the original look (which I have NO IDEA what that is).

Nice to have found this site being from Philly and knowing where the old Philco factory was when I was a kid...and YES I have been to Evansville Indianna.

Gottagojoe

See all the supplier's links on the FAQ and RESOURCE LINKS pages of my site. Icon_smile

Been to your site (actually happened upon it a few weeks ago), you have a 5056 volume control listed, mine is a 5055 20K with on/off switch. Any chance someone has one of these around?? Hate to put a crappy radio shack pot in a classic radio.
gottagojoe

the volume control on my philco 37-84 is 006317 part number but I know it CAN'T be the original.

Gottagojoe