Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Deforest Crosley

I bough this one at an estate sale, and brought it home today.
  The name they gave it is  the'' Buckingham''.
 It has 10 tubes with two of those hard to get 6F7M rogers tubes,
but I have two spares that are a little weak but they should work.
Someone had turned the radio on at the estate sale and we could smell that familiar electrical smell.
  So far it looks good under the chassis, and I hope it is not the power supply.
 It take s the same power supply as my rogers 10-12, and I need one of those ,BUT  I might just do this radio instead.
 The beast is very heavy, but the cabinet won't have to be stripped, just cleaned up good.
  This will be a winter project.
 You might notice that someone had used a regular 6F7 tube with an adaptor ,where a 6F7M would go . [right tube in last photo]  does anyone know if that would be the correct thing to do?
Here are some photos.
 Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Dan;
  A 6F7M is electrically the same as a 6F7 but has an octal base instead so using a 6F7 with an adapter should work fine, unless the tube is being used as a mixer-oscillator, then the extra lead lengths could cause a problem, but I'm pretty sure that they were used as IF amplifier tubes or detectors, not oscillators in this set. There was also an RCA tube called a 6P7G that is the same as a 6F7M but has a different pinout so it could be used as a sub. This assumes that you actually need a 6F7M with it's triode-pentode, but what I noticed in my Rogers 10-12 is that they had the triode sections in each tube connected as diodes with the grid and plate tied together, they may have done the same in the D.F Buckingham. Since they used a pair of 6F7Ms, right next to each other, you have a number of options, use adapters for a pair of 6F7s, use adapters for a pair of 6P7Gs, rewire the sockets to accept 6P7Gs, or rewire one socket to accept a 6B8/6B8G, and the other socket to accept a 6K7/6K7G. In my case I will probably rewire the set to accept a 6B8 and a 6K7 since 6P7Gs were never that popular to start with.
Regards
Arran

Thank you for that information. I was not sure how to test the 6F7M   , but I tested it as a 6F7

Were De Forest-Crosleys strictly a Canadian built set? I remember seeing them in Vancouver and Victoria years ago, but not in the US.

Scott. I believe that they were only made in Canada.
   I also think that the Rogers was strictly Canadian.
 Someone else may have more information about  this.
 Dan in Calgary.

For the most part, yes they were strictly Canadian built sets, though not all of their parts were Canadian made. Their earliest models were actually identical to U.S made Crosley sets, built under license by a Canadian branch of one of Lee DeForest's former companies, though they were probably assembled using imported parts at the time. Deforest Crosley was made for a time by an outfit called "Standard Radio Ltd." which was then taken over by Rogers-Majestic in 1933, after that they shared chassis with most other Rogers products, but with different dials and cabinets. Like for example, I think that the Deforest-Crosley Buckingham may have shared chassis with the Rogers model 10-10, with a handful of differences.
Regards
Arran

What a beautiful radio I love all the different woods in the cabinet.