Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fuse in Philco 610 Tombstone

I always install a fuse in my old radio restores but the Philco 610 does not seem to have any convenient place to mount one.   The area where the line cord goes into the block is pretty crowded.  I was wondering what other people have done?

73's  Bob

Hi Bob,
You can use a fuse w/pigtails and just solder it in between the block and transformer primary. I've seen some 3AG style fuses w/ wires attached. A bit of shrink tubing and your good.
Have seen some that use automotive inline holders but I think it looks cheesey. Don't know if the insulation is up to the task either.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I have used those automotive inline fuses on a few other (newer) radios and they worked but kind of ugly. I have seen a few videos where they used fuses with the pigtails and I was leaning toward that.

73's  Bob

If your not using your DX-100 pull the plug off of it and put in a couple of quarter amp fuses in it [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_lol.gif]

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I often use an inline fuse holder for an AGC type fuse and just tuck it up inside the chassis. I much prefer the accessibility of a panel mount though...but if there's no room, there's no room.

Rob

I prefer chassis a mounted fuse holder for which I can usually find a spot to affix near the AC line cord entry.  Here is one example (zoom in on lower right corner):

http://galleries.mine.nu/steves/gallery/...520?full=1

Steve D

That would be my preference as well however in this 610 there just is no good spot in the area of the AC line cord. I am going to try to use a fuse with the pigtails on it and some shrink wrap to make sure it can not get shorted.

73's  Bob