Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stall's 16b cathedral

Thanks Mike. I didn't realize there was such a difference in ripple rating depending on the size in mfds. Learn something everyday!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Ron

The ripple rating is not directly tied to mictofarads but rather, with the same cap type, to the sheer physical size. The same current, even if having produced same amount of heat (though it will likely be more due to a possible increase in the ESR in smaller one) will increase the temperature more for a smaller mass and less for a larger mass.
There are few factors.

The caps of old were not even rated for ripple, they were huge and any sensible current in old radios or amps didn't matter. Today the same value cap is 10 times smaller. If not less.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes Mike makes sense. There was so much mass to the original electrolytics thatnthey could dissipate the heat better than the small units today. A mix here of some electronics and physics!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

In addition to what Mike said, if you have an early AC radio, such as a Philco 77, 95, 20, or an RCA Radiola 18, these sets used large value paper capacitors for filter capacitors, between 1 and 3 uf, not electrolytic capacitors. When replacing the original filter capacitors it's best to use plastic film capacitors of a similar value, not electrolytics, small value electrolytics can't take the ripple and will inevitably fail regardless of the voltage rating. Fortunately plastic film caps are considerably smaller and more economical in larger values then their paper cap ancestors, so you might as well use them.
Regards
Arran

If you see a USPS jet fly over, be sure to wave, my speaker is on its way to NJ...Icon_biggrin

Steve

Oh, if it is on its way to Rich, then both of y'all are gonna be happy with the results.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

just seen it fly into Phila,,,,,right over my house,,,is the flight patten

In the evening I heard someone blowing a raspberry over our in the sky; I think it was the bad cone saying 'hi' to Jersey pholks.

LOL!!  That naughty 1/3rd of a cone.... Bitter to the end it is.. Icon_twisted

Box marked "Attn Rich Stamer"......He'll teach it some manners!!! Icon_thumbup

Steve

Ooooo-weeee  thats purrr-deeee!! Icon_thumbup 

Steve

Attached Files Image(s)

Oh yeah....

very Nice JOB

Inspired by another thread here, i decided to check some output on the power transformer today........ With 115vac going in, im getting 360vac out of both transformer taps to the #80 tube (removed of course)...

Let it run for a bit with all the tubes and pilot lamps a glow and the transformer stayed room temp...

These numbers sound right to anyone whose dealt with a 16b?

If you mean ends to center then yes.

Rest assured, the center tap was involved with those readings, i would have been REALLY BUMMED if that was the sum of the ends combined... They seemed a tad low compared to the readings i saw in a video on "the tube".. And after seeing that burnt bakelite block in the circuit, i was a bit concerned.

Definitely feeling more confident about that transformer now... Thanks for the confirmation Icon_thumbup 

Steve