Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tube Shield Color

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but, what color were these tube shields originally?
Sometimes they look like they were painted green, sometimes brown, and sometimes it just looks like a patina.  Icon_crazy
These are from a 37-610. Thanks in advance.

Kelly

Attached Files Image(s)

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." — Winston Churchill

The tube shields on a 37-610 that I recently restored were unpainted. I simply polished them up and sprayed them with gloss poly.    

It looks like they were plated, could be tin, like a regular tin can.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Really nice job! Icon_thumbup

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." — Winston Churchill

These shields were originally tin plated. The tin came off over the decades on most of these shields.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

10-4. Thanks guys. Icon_biggrin

Whatever you do with refinishing the shields make sure you wash them good first, tube shields seem to build up a layer of black dust on the inside, and sometimes the outside, not to mention oxidation, and sometimes rust.
Regards
Arran

I had kinda wondered that myself. Found some paint I think may be close. Kind of a brownish color to me.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

The (few) shields that stil have good tin plating are very shiny, almost as if they were chrome or nickel plated. Not brown.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yeah, I would not paint them - unless you polish them up and put on a clear coat, maybe semi gloss.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

If you have a large solder pot, you could try an experiment: clean and flux a shield , immerse it in molten solder, then twke out and shake of the solder, strongly.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I tried plating some lantern parts takes lots of 95/5 solder best to find at a flea market. Placed app. 8 lbs in a old cast iron pot heated until liquid. Parts must be very clean no grease or oils on metal. You will need acid flux or zinc chlorite(sp). Best done outside use gloves, face shield and a fan to keep the fumes at bay. Having done this several times to get a few parts just right. I would not do it again. David

I did a lot of pot soldering back in the old days.

If you really want to make these look new, get a plating kit from Caswell. Build your own power supply and save a lot of money.

Not great pictures, but, I replated a lot of the parts for this radio:

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/number-two

And I did all of the parts on this radio less the chassis, which I probably should have also done. I could have purchased all of the tools and materials I needed for what it cost and I would have saved months of frustration (dealing with the guy that plated it).

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/into-...ratosphere

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

If I understand correctly, these shields turn this color with age? They are shinny inside, but the outside sure looks like some kind of thin paint and just a touch of rust in some spots. Be better to clean and clear coat? Wire brush or steel wool? These are from the 610 (my forever project).

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44