Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Majestic info

I'm having trouble finding info on the Majestic console. This is the closest schematic I can find.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...010437.pdf

The tube line up is correct 5Y3, 6K6, 6F5, 6U7, 6A8, 6J5 and the physical layout is right.
Mine also has push buttons that need some work so I need to know value of mica caps and some of the wiring doesn't look right. Also there are no values on the schematic so I can't check previous work. Would appreciate any help I'm posting some pictures in hopes some one recognizes this console.
Thanks Eric

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Eric,
I don't think it's a matter of recognizing it looks like you have found whats available for the service info. Unfortunately
it's somewhat incomplete.
Has someone remove or changed out the original caps and resistors?

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes some have been changed but I don't think the values are out of line like one was a black beauty cap .03. one of the things is that on top of tuner caps at one time something was soldered there. And I have no info on the buttons. Here are some pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Eric,
>And I have no info on the buttons. 
Buttons are no problem. Most of the time they are set up like this in pairs of two. One will set the oscillator frequency the other adjusts the rf circuit/antenna. The way to tell the difference is w/it set to use the pushbuttons push in one of the buttons and listen for a station or background noise. Note the wires going from the pb contacts to the associated two trimmers. Touch the ungrounded of one of the trimmers associated w/the contact you've actuated. One will shift the frequency this use to set the station the other will peak up the signal.
Two notes. A lot of times the trimmers can't tune the entire bcb so the first few on the left will tune from 550-1050kc or so and the ones one the right will tune from about 800-1600kc.
There is some interaction between the two trimmer in that if you move the osc too far from where the ant trimmer is peaked you'll need to repeak it to regain the receivers sensitivity.

On the caps I would assume that they are the correct value or close to the correct value. You may want to just replace  the caps in the power supply and give her a try, provided that everything looks ok no loose wires or dangling parts. If you have some of these we can figure where they are suppose to go to.
Just as a safety precaution connect a voltmeter from pin 2 of the 5Y3 to the chassis (or across C-19). With this you can monitor the HV. When you first turn it on the hv should swing up about 300vdc maybe a little more in the first 5-10sec. Then it should start going down at about 15sec and drop to about 225 to 250vdc. If the hv doesn't swing up in the first few seconds turn the set off right away. You've got a short in the hv or a bad 5Y3.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry

Guess I was not clear but I have recapped replacing one at a time and also replacing any resistor that was over 20%. The radio plays on BC but I don't get anything on SW. There was a cardboard instruction that outlined the setting up of the buttons, a little strange from other ones as the padders are not next to each other like #1 osc  then the antenna is #7 but I don't get anything on them except static. I will clean the switches and see if that helps. Still wondering what was attached to the top of the tuning condenser and where do the wires go to the buttons and why were they cut on the button padder's

Eric

Attached Files Image(s)

<Still wondering what was attached to the top of the tuning condenser and where do the wires go to the buttons

In a typical set up since it looks like your pb all have station allocations the bandswitch would select between the pb or dial tuning. This switch would select between connecting the tuning cap's ant section or the trimmer on the pb and would switch between the tuning cap's osc section or the osc trimmer on the pb assembly.
I looked though a couple of yrs of Rider's in the Majestic section to see if there was some other set that had pb. I see that Majestic took a page from Crosley's obfuscation handbook drawing tube upside down and not marking connections with a dot or hump. Didn't see much that is like your setup on a different chassis.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes their print sucks! Have found sniped wires (6 total) seems to be all around the band switch dealing with SW and the PB's and I suspect the antenna coil is not original but something they had laying around. Big mess but broadcast works.

I have been told by many forum members on this, and other forums   that during the war  many SW bands were disabled on purpose.
 This could have happened to your set as it seems that only the SW wires are cut. 
 Dan in Calgary

Living in Calgary Alberta