Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 53-1350 Resistor Overheats

WOW!!!   Excellent advice!   Thanks for the direction and link.   Stay tuned....

DLT

I've been able to buy most capacitors from Mouser, except for this one:   C2   It has 4 wires coming out of it, about 1" diameter and 3+" long.  It has various cap/volt ratings.

Any ideas where to find one?

DLT

I think you are referring to C-17 on the schematic. I don't know of anywhere you find those caps prepackaged  unless you had someone build a custom one. What most of us do is just buy the individual caps and wire them into the circuit.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

According to my schematics, it is C2.  We already replaced C17 (smaller one below C2).

Ok I'm not sure what cap you are referring to as C-2 on the posted schematic is a trimmer cap (small adjustable). If you could take a pic of it, the cap or post the schematic you are using then we can figure it out. I suspect you maybe using a Sam's Photofact.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes, Sam's Photofact.  According to the picture, the part is labeled C2.  It is the largest capacitor, with 4 wires in it "ABCD", has a metal strap holding it in, and located directly below the T1-transformer.

The deal is that Sam's are still copyrighted so for the most part you have to buy them, that's why most use Riders or Beitmans there free and online. For those of us who like the the older sets Sam's start in 1946 so anything pre '46 you won't find. One plus is that Sam's lists different manufactures replacement part on their parts list most other will just have the oem parts listed. Riders and Beitmans I believe are copies of the original documents from the manufacture, Sams on the other hand redraws the schematic and changes the part designation number on the parts. Making it hard to follow if as in our case using the original vs Sams.
As before if you could post a pic of the part or the schematic you are using this would be helpful. I can't think of many caps that fit your description that aren't C-17. Unfortunately I don't have the Sams for your set.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I have seen them Capacitors,,,,4 wire ones ,,,,still for sale NEW------But---can't remember were ----SORRY

There are some outfits that sell new prepackaged caps for the run of the mill AA5 sets but this one need caps rated @ 250v or so not the standard 160v jobs. The dual diode rectifier is configured as a volt doubler so it produces about 220dc. About twice what you get from the cathode of a 35Z5.

I did find this: https://hayseedhamfest.com/products/knight-star-roamer
Capacitance is a little low but voltage rating is good. They do custom work so you could have one built to your requirements but if you just but separate components your looking at about $7 worth of parts and wire them in.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

dont go hunting down a single container that holds several cap's,, its a huge waste of time.

if you want it to stay looking like it was back then, you would gut the old container and stuff inside new modern caps then seal and wire it in.

there is an advantage to getting the caps separated.

in your oem design, if one cap were to go south, its failure will / could cause the other caps within the same container to fail as well.

my hallicrafters had a yellow cardboard aerovox 60/40/40/25 uf caps of different voltages all in one. Yeah, i tossed that idea in the trash can

Sent email

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry