Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 77 Dial String Problem

Just finished a Philco Model 77 and it is playing great, but......
I noticed that the dial string was a bit loose, so decided to replace it. I have used regular dial string as well as copper braid, but both slip on the drive pulley attached to the tuning knob. The original string was thicker and a bit softer than usual. I think I need a large diameter string. Any tips on how to solve this or where I can find the correct dial string?  Anyone have the dial stringing diagram handy?
Thanks,
Joe

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Joe!

Have a look at what I used for my Philco 112:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...#pid136216

You may also want to check out the diagram that Kestas was nice enough to provide for the Model 95 (it may be similar to your 77):
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...#pid136040

I had a similar problem with my 96.  Found a little heavier string (still not as heavy as the original) but haven't installed it yet.  There was someone here who found some heavy kevlar fishing line.  Don't know if it solved his problem.  It looks to me like the drive pulley is wedge shaped and needs the thicker string to wedge down in to increase friction.  I was having problems with  weight of the capacitor plates not being balanced  at one end of the dial and the lack of friction causing the dial to move on its own and an inability to tune because of the drive pulley issue.

Wow! Nathan is on the ball.  Posted the link before I got my post up.  I'm going to look for that as well. That diagram, though, if different.

I fixed the problem.  Used regular dial string (the thinner stuff).  I made a full revolution around the pulley attached to the tuning knob and voila it works just fine.  I didn't need to go with a larger diameter cord.

Now I have one last problem to resolve with my antenna and ground posts.  They are clearly spring-loaded but they won't push down to accept a wire.  I have WD-40 ed them and also used turbine oil, but still can't get them to push down.  Anyone else have this problem?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks everyone,
Joe Miller