Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-216 restoration questions

Any type is OK in this circuit. It is an RC filter with a large C, so you don't care about stuff like noise (or even tolerance).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

>I've heard wire wound should not be used in some circuits. 
Yes in some instances the ww resistor can act as an inductor (like a coil of wire). This added inductance can detune a tuned circuit.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The white ceramic power resistors are not necessarily wire-wound. Check out the part listings when you buy. Sometimes the listing will say something like, above a certain value is carbon, below is wire-wound, or the other way around.

John Honeycutt

Why exactly would one use a 5W / 3,000 Ohm resistor in a tuned circuit? Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I've merged all the 40-216 restoration question into one renamed thread to keep the topic together.
Thanks.

Would be nice to get more feedback on the band switch question.

I'm wondering if it was just not put together well and the feedback clicks were "good enough" to ship it.

Again there is really no clicking there other than what I believe to be resistance from the contacts since that metal detent is not even touching the plate.

Did you try to slide the shaft forward so the detents make contact?

Doesn't appear that I can slide it anywhere.

I'm guessing that the lower brass bushing is tapered and set in place. Maybe it needs to be pushed further.

I did see a similar setup on youtube and asked the individual about it and he said it really doesn't have much feedback. Thing is is that his unit has indicators for bands and he just used that to see where he is at when switching.

He has a 41-616

His quote...

Hello. There is a very slight detent on the selector for each band. The 41-616 has different panel indicator lights that tell you what function is active. I basically just look at the panel indicator lights to determine what mode it's in. You're right that there isn't much of a definitive click. Don't know about an adjustment to make it more "clicky"? I guess it's possible?

Did he say if the detents make contact when turning as you are wondering? If his do then you know you need to find out why yours don't meet and make contact.

I can ask but don't expect he'll tear it apart to look.

*Strange that when I hit REPLY under your comments the quote it puts in the box is a response from someone else :\ I just went w/ a quick reply
Photo 

Capacitor #88

Shows going across motor. I was trying to figure out which point is pos/neg. The cap is strapped to the chassis and has two black wires coming out of it.

The stepper unit diagram shows a blue and orange wires but when you look at the radio diagram you can't tell which is which.

Then I was wondering how this is even working at the same time noticed a "2" in a circle on the capacitor itself.

I'm taking it that this is (2) 30uF caps, the black wires are the pos and case is neg????

If so the schematic is not showing both.

Can someone clarify this for me please?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013346.pdf

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/og5S0zb.jpg]

I'm pretty sure that should be a nonpolarized cap, so there will not be a positive nor a negative - just one cap in that can.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Crapsticks!

Will have to see if I have something that will work but doubt it.

I saw something about using 2 lytics connected to opposite ends to create a NP cap???

Are there any other caps in here that should be NP that show diff in the schem?

You will need a motor run, or start cap, or a large non polarized cap like a polyfilm one in it's place, since it's only 30 volts any type will do without being too costly.
Regards
Arran