Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco phono model D10A needles

My 46-1209 (hopeful winter project) uses the D10A turntable that was used in a number of units. I was Googling for parts and discovered a website that sells an aftermarket replacement needle for the 46-1203. Some more research confirmed that this model used the venerable D10A turntable as well, and visually they look identical in photos.

Here's the site and their listing for the needles. Is anyone familiar with the D10A and do you think these would work appropriately without damaging the cartridge?

https://www.turntableneedles.com/find10.asp?manfg=PHILCO&modelname=46-1203&Select=Model

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

While the 46-1203 and the 46-1209 share the same D10A turntable, the 1209 uses a different tone arm than the 1203. The 1209 uses the dynamic reproducer, while the 1203 uses a standard crystal cartridge. The dynamic reproducer cartridge takes a very special needle that is nearly impossible to find today. Inserting any other needle into the cartridge will ruin it. I don't know of any modern replacement needle that will work (but possibly other's here with more experience on these changers do). You'd probably need to find an NOS Philco needle for the dynamic reproducer.

Otherwise, you will need to replace the cartridge in yours and not just the needle. Here's a recent video of a restorer from Salt Lake City that is making the conversion from the dynamic reproducer cartridge to a modern replacement on a 47-1230 (which is virtually identical to your 46-1209, just that the 1230 adds FM along with AM and short wave bands to the radio):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUlzAryWBKY

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

To make sure.it is ok younwould have to compare the measurements of the 2. If the new one diameter and length etc, it should be ok. Other needles ruin the cartridge because they usually are not the exact diameter of the original. So it messes up the hole in the cartridge.

Ok, thanks guys. I so see the tone arm is different. Leave it to me to buy something "special", haha. I need a new tone arm for this anyway, will have to look for that. Maybe one or the other needles will be serviceable for a while and I won't have to convert it just yet.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."