Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-221 "Melted" grill/escutcheon 3D printing

Yes, my radio has that "Salvador Dali" look.  From reading old threads I know a couple of people here 3D printed some replacements, but it wasn't economically feasible to keep doing so.  My question:  is there anyone here who did do 3D printing of the escutcheon for the 41-221 and still has the detailed drawing/CAD/plan?  I don't know anything about 3D printing, but I have a friend who is in the Art department of a university and they have a printer.  He is willing to help, but I was hoping someone had on had already the detailed drawing the printer will need.  Anyone?  Thanks.

Kirk (Old Restorer) sells these.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes, I believe Kirk does sell those, however I don't know if he is currently producing them or if he has any left in stock. I don't want to kill his business if he is but I believe that he made his molds using a grill from a certain post war model, with an identical grill, that used a more stable plastic. One word of caution though, the grills on those post war sets only came in white, so you can't really use one as a replacement on most of the pre war sets which came with marbled brown grills. You could try casting your own using one to make a mold, or find a more high tech method such as a C.A.M machine, or a 3D printer by scanning an original, but buying one from Kirk is probably cheaper and less hassle.
Regards
Arran

I think Kirk always has a bunch with him when coming to Kutztown.

Doesn't hurt to ask. Shoot him a PM, unless he is reading this and being silent.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Here's a pic of one of them. It is monochromatic, one of these day I'll get around to painting it to recreate the marble effect. Last time I talked to him abt these grilles he only had a few left. I doubt there will be any more made by him. Early attempts to mold them didn't turnout well so he went to a 3D system but they were very expensive and where sold at a big loss. The total original run was 50pcs in 3 colors, black, brown and white best I remember.

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry