Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 non-AVC Dual Volume Control

I don't know why, but search turns up NO results on any open forum for this topic, and I KNOW you guys have discussed this topic here at some point.

I'm pretty much a purist, and I'd rather not redesign any part of my Philco 70 (70s, as suddenly it's "That 70s Show" around here. I've now got 4 of 'em!)

I'd rather keep the original volume pot if it's serviceable than install a shunt resistor for the cathode portion, or stick a modern pot in there.

However, I can see the possibility of these things becoming unobtainium at some point, so my thought is, if possible, to purchase a modular dual stacked modern pot, at 1 Watt or 2 if it'll fit, and stuff it inside the old radio. That way, underneath it will look exactly the same, and an original pot could be swapped in there when or if one is found in good condition.

Has anyone tried one of the rectangular modular pots on the web? (Do a Google search on Modular Potentiometer and you'll see candidates from vendors such as Vishay.)

I'm not worried so much about the 5K, since that's just for the antenna feed, but the 210 ohm one I know has to carry some current but I'm not really sure how much. Would a 1 Watt pot work? Has anyone built their own modular pot and tried it out?

Ron, I'll apologize in advance if you have to move this thread. Maybe the search engine on this site isn't working, or I missed something when I tried to use it.

Dan

"Why, the tubes alone are worth more than that!" (Heard at every swap meet. Gets me every time!)

Philcos: 90, 70, 71B, 610, 37-61 40-81, 46-420 Code 121 to name a few.
Plus enough Zeniths, Atwater Kents and others to trip over!

You might want to drop Mark Oppat a note he as a solution for that bad dual pot.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry