Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Signal Generator

Hey everyone! I am looking to purchase a good signal generator to do some alignments. Can I get some ideas from some members on what to buy. Not to pricey...I need to buy more radios!

SG-8 from Heathkit can be had for $20. Will probably require replacing one electrolytic cap, otherwise there is no actions needed.
Old tube generators are not super accurate and it is desirable to use a counter with them to ensure they generate the exact frequency that one wants.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

With some or these entree level generators there are no adjustment to calibrate them like the Heath SG-6,7,and 8. A counter would be mandatory for accurate frequency setting. They can be had for abt $10 and a month wait as they come from China.
A lot of the older generators use what are affectionately known as belly button connectors for the audio in/out and rf out. Technically they are a Switchcraft 2501MP, their not hard to come by but if you do have to make up the cables it's abt $10 per to build them.
In the Heath line the LG-1, IG-42 and IG-102 are several steps above the SG sets. They do command a few more dollars. If you get a counter it doesn't matter much which one you chose if your just doing am and sw alignments.
I've been using an older SG-7 w/a counter for the last couple of years. Is it great? nah more like the model T of generators but it will get you there.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Any counter recommendations?

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Thank you for the replies. As always, very helpful!

Some guys here got this cheap LED panel Chinese-made counters.
Myself, I got very cheaply ($25) a BK Precision 1970-s model on eBay, and it works great.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The BK Precision one looks like a lot more fun. Icon_smile I've seen some of the old nixie tube ones too, very cool.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

I had one at work in beginning of 90s, which was not very new by then, and I liked it, so when I saw one on eBay for a very low price I bought it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precision-Mo...Swt0JZk3sl

I think this is what I have, or very much like it, as mine does not have variable trigger level or reset button, but otherwise is the same looking set.

Been using one very similar also, mine has no trigger or reset button. Have not had any problems with it.
Not a swap meet price there but with free shipping might be worth getting if you need one.

It doesn't explicitly say it works, but says nothing to the opposite either. Could ask.

A late response here, but I like the Hickok 288X a lot, it is crystal controlled and verrry stable once warmed up.