Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-125

Picked this up at a garage sale,needs the same as always which these philco of this age.the one head scratcher I have is that it has a 35 L6 where the ( 7c7 ) should be.Do these 2 tubes match for swap outs? It also has a electrolytic connected to the 8th pin going to the on/off switch.I can not read the size except it reads 25 w.v. ( it may read 20 mfd ). I fail to see this in the riders (10-28).Im fairly new to this hobby so please forgive my level of knowledge on this but any input is very welcome.I know a lot of you guys hate these rubbered wired sets that are very cramped but I kinda of enjoy the challenge (so far).any help is welcome regarding this 35 L6 thank you, harpone1

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I believe the 35L6 can be used in place of the 35A5 but definitely NOT in the socket that should have the 7C7, the filament voltages for those two tubes are very different. Any chance the 7C7 is in the spot for the 35A5. Someone may have just put them back in wrong.

There are often older repairs in these sets where someone has tacked in an electrolytic because the originals failed.  Sometimes they remove the originals and sometimes they don't.  If its not in the schematic, I would take it out and rebuild using the schematic.  Looks like there was originally two 20 uF electrolytic caps wired on either side of the field coil (and the 2 caps were contained in a single tubular container attached to the chassis wall).  There is a great schematic at http://www.audiophool.com/Philco.html

The rubber wire in the sets between 1939 and 1942 does tend to get brittle and the rubber comes off.  You may need to do a good bit of rewiring.  A how to do that is found at this LINK.

Hi and welcome,
As Bob said 35A5 and 35L6 are electrically the same but require different sockets, one is a octal and the other is a loctal. Neither of these tubes are any thing like the 7C7. So to answer your question No. When you get a minute snap a few pics 1 of the top and one of the bottom. This may shed some light on what you have.

It also has a electrolytic connected to the 8th pin going to the on/off switch. Well if you are referring to the 35L6 socket it would be the cathode bypass capacitor 20mf @25v is fine. Value isn't very critical. Pin 8 on any of the other tubes (loctals) is connected the filament which has ac voltage on, electrolytics don't like ac at all.

For better service info always rely on Philco service bulletins. Look here:  http://www.audiophool.com/Philco.html  Just click on your model number.

Sorry for the duplicate info I've been spraying lacquer this evening.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks guys,I'm going to look it over some more tomorrow and get back on the site hopefully tomorrow night. Harpone1

i want to thank both of the members who responded to this post to help me with the philco.There is a old saying there is a fool born every day!Well I'm one of those,I had the chassis backwards and the tubes are all correct after further review. Sorry to take up your time but I did learn a good lesson through this.Check and recheck everything. Thanks again. The reborn fool ??

No worries..we've all been there...

Can anyone please tell me the value of a moulded mica cap with just a arrow and 3 dots in the arrow (that read left to right) red-red-orange.I can’t see it in the 40-120 riders manual ( 10-28 ) there’s 2 of them connected to the volume control terminals.one is connected to the top and bottom terminals and the other is connected to the bottom terminal and goes to the 7c6 tube pin two. Thanks

On this philco 40-120 there are 2 moulded mica caps that have a arrow with 3 dots inside it that are (left to right) red,red,orange.on the riders manual (10-28) I see no cap value that compares to this.One of these micas goes from bottom volume terminal to the top terminal on the volume control terminal.The other mica (same red,red,orange) goes to the 7C6 from the bottom volume control terminal.Can someone please tell me the value of these micas and what # on the parts list for the 40-120 that showed this so I can learn something here. Thank you very much. Mike

Extra thread about same subject merged into this one. Please read the Rules.

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=4586

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN