Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New here 46-1203

Hi everyone- I was browsing about when I came across what I think is a 46- 1203. It was $40. Swoop. I'm a vintage sewing machine mechanic, and felt like the cord looked decent, sooooo. Yeah. I did it. Plugged it into the strip and turned it on. Everything seems like it works, but i havent checked the needle situation yet. I also dont own any 78s, but that will be a good project, too. (I'll post a picture when i work out the image hosting business)

If someone could point me to the section where I troubleshoot the humming sound, and how to evaluate the needle, I would greatly appreciate it. I also need to fabricate an antenna. I'm telling myself that this is my one and only, but I said that about antique and vintage sewing machines about 30 machines ago....i have low resistance to vintage collections Icon_biggrin. Thanks for having me!

Dolly,

Welcome!

Radios are a bit different from Singers, so plugging an antique radio in a strip not a very good idea.
You got lucky, it did not go up in smoke.
Now that we are past it, you should turn yourself to where it is described how to recap radios (change old capacitors for new ones), and then comes the rest - checking resistors, tubes etc. Oh, and yes, changing cords if they are rigid or cracked.

Philco Electronic Restoration is the chapter here where you could open your own thread and you will get tons of good advice.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi and welcome!
Like your bio reminds me of when I was a kid in the 60's.
You may find this series humorous and educational.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwv36Lr7YoA
The technical info can be found here:  http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013585.pdf
There are a few skills that are handy when doing service work, being able to use a volt/ohm meter to
check components and measure voltages. Soldering is another, some hand tools, and your good to get started.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks! Soldering and I are on pretty good terms, from my other mechanicing. Ohm meters and I have yet to meet, but my car can get the Harbor Freight and three different hardwares without me, so I will be looking into that shortly! Icon_biggrin 

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! 
Dolly

Well, in my defense (hangs head) the store had it plugged in and playing radio, right into the freaking wall, so......Im glad I got lucky! I will Cut it out right this minute. In the sewing world, I have firm rule about never working on anything with a circuit board.  Thats where my era of interest ends. (thats where they started using plastic gears and so forth).  So, lots to learn!! Thank you for being kind to me! Hopefully, the number of dumb mistakes I make will decrease exponentially now that I have found this board. Icon_e_surprised Dolly

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Lots of great information on this Phorum with threads in the Electronic Restoration section and more specific technical info in the Philco Tech Section. A very nice collection of information for beginners is found on Phil Nelson's website. There's also a better schematic on the Audiophool site. (you need the djvu plug in to view the schematics)

Welcome! My wife has an old (beautiful condition) Singer I'd love to trade for a Philco!

Kidding, love all old things. Represents a time when craftsmanship mattered more to folks.

Thanks! Cody

I have an extra antenna for that unit if you are interested.

Hi Dolly, I just notice you are working on a 46-1203. I am currently restoring a 46-1201. Given that you mentioned that you’re new to this I wanted to make sure you were aware that you can have 120 volts on the chassis depending how you plug it in. One of the first thing I did when restoring my 46-1201 was to install a polarized plug to avoid accidently getting zapped by the chassis during the repair process.  .... Jim

To avoid getting zapped during the repair process by radios with hot/non-transformer chassis one needs an isolation transformer, and the polarized plug is only good when all is done and the radio is being played. In wet basement. Icon_smile
I, being an EE, do not touch these without an IT with a 39-1/2' pole.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I agree that an isolation transformer is ideal however wiring a polarized plug with neutral on the chassis circuit will ensure the chassis is never hot.  I also recommend working with laytex gloves or keeping one hand in your pocket which is what I did 40 years as a young technician.