Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco TV speaker?

A couple of months back (before I bought the 38-1), I don't know what possessed me (save for the fact that I had "the fever") I drove about 60 miles to pick this up:           [attachment=14646]\  The guy said his father was an old -time repairman, and thought it came out of a Philco TV set. There are no manufacturer markings at all on it, except in the bottom right corner of the disintegrated label, you can make out the letters: "...ery Co." This measures 11". Does anyone recognize this particular speaker as a Philco-used speaker? I may put it in the want ads here, if anyone is interested.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like early 30s vintage to me and much too early for a TV. Here's an example of a 1940s Philco TV speaker.

[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4153/5000...535b_z.jpg]

I have one like that. Mine says model G on it. I believe they are used in the model 87 Philco console and some other models.

Used on sets from '29-'31 or so.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That's what I thought! That certainly didn't look like a TV speaker to me (although I was hoping it may have been for an old prototype TV), but there it is... I bought it for $22, and drove about 60 miles to fetch it. (crazy, I know) But the guy had a couple of nice AK's from the 20's in unbelievable condition that I wanted to look at (but I couldn't afford them) If you guys think it has any use for anyone, I will post it on the for sale section.  Icon_smile