Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello! 38-12 Dial Question

UHello!  I am new to your group and looking forward to your advise.  I have several Philcos and am now retired and looking forward to repairing them.  I am new to radio repair and have limited electronics background.  Up first is my 38-12 (hopefully with pix attached).  I have a new Dial Face on its way and my first question is about the Dial pointer.  I believe this is friction fit but mine is not removing itself easily.  Any advice on how to remove one which is séized without damaging it?
The Dial Face appears to be encased in knurled edges from the face plate.  Do I just insert something to open up the knurled edges so I can insert the new Dial Face?  
Any help is much appreciated!

[attachment=14663][attachment=14663]

Hi and welcome!

The dial pointer is indeed held on by friction; it simply presses into place. There is a hole in the shaft and a pin on the back of the pointer presses into this hole.

Careful use of a pocket knife with a long blade may help in removing the pointer from the shaft. If you can carefully work the blade between pointer and shaft, this may allow you to get the pointer out. Do be careful not only to not break the pointer, but to not cut yourself!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi and Welcome,
Just as an side you may want to put the piece of clear plastic over your new dial between to it and the pointer so the pointed won't get that one too.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I used my two index fingers to pull the pointer out. Icon_smile
By the hub of course.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Thanks for your insight! I appreciate your advise. I should get the face this week and will put your methods to use!

The pointer is off without incident! If anyone has any easier way to uncrimp the steel surrounding the old foil Face plate please reach out. I am wedging a thin screwdriver and rocking it but am not pleased with my result. I can't even get a razor blade wedged between the steel and the original face. It must have been pressed into place during its manufacture.
Thanks in advance!

Most of the ones I've seen aren't crimped along the edges but have little snap in fasteners near the corners. Remove 3 or 4 of them and the dial card come off. I would take your new dial place a suitable piece of clear plastic over it then use the two original screws to remount it. Or takev your tin and turn it the other way around. Put the new dial on the backside. Use the original screws to remount w/ a plastic on the front to prevent rash.

[Image: http://northernelectric.ca/radios/philco...t_orig.jpg]

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry