Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chassis vernier removal question

Hope this is the right section for this.

According to Philco's Service Bulletin #273, they refer to a lock pin that holds the pinion gear and shaft in. The instructions state to place a wood block on the side with the pin and to rap the block sharply to get the pin out.

Well, that confuses me.

Am I to assume that the pin is supposed to back out on it's own? 

I'm not sure because it appears to be pressed in. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

just to clarify...is this question for the 37-675 radio?

Hi Klondike
I could not get that pin out, I tried to get it out using the block of wood it did not work for me. I admit I did not "tap" it to hard. I just cleaned it really good and just live with it. Mine was not too loose. I have a 37-675. Mine had a lot of open coils in the RF part. Also the dial that I bought is not correct for a 37-675 the low end of the new dial is no right.
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Sorry, yes for the 37-675.

I figured out that I did not need to remove it. I tried a little sewing machine oil and it loosened the vernier shaft up really nicely.

Which dial did you order? 

There are 2 different dials available and the Philco part number for the 37-675 with the autotune uses the 25-5207 number. How does it look because I need to order one myself.

(I can't not get the quotes to work properly, must be something quirky with chrome browser?)

I don't know if the pin has a taper to it or no, is it does then it will obviously only come out one way, so if tapping on it one way doesn't remove it maybe tapping it the other way will?
Regards
Arran

If your vernier drive system is like my 37-116, try using a magnet. I used one of those telescoping magnets for reaching tight spaces and the pin came out with no problem. After that, you can pull the assembly out but be careful that the 3 ball bearings don't drop out and get lost on you!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

(11-10-2017, 07:46 AM)462ron Wrote:  If your vernier drive system is like my 37-116, try using a magnet. I used one of those telescoping magnets for reaching tight spaces and the pin came out with no problem. After that, you can pull the assembly out but be careful that the 3 ball bearings don't drop out and get lost on you!

Ron

I did try one of those neo magnets from a hard drive and no movement. As stated, some sewing machine oil loosened the drive up nicely. Not the preferred method, but I was not interested in beating on the shaft housing unnecessarily.