Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1201 code 121

Hi All, I'm just about to undertake a restoration of a 'Bing Crosby' that I've had on my shelf for over 30 years. I read the threads from a couple of years ago and found them very informative.  As with other radios I've restored I'm sure there are a few tricks that folks have discovered or problem areas to look out for during the restoration process.  I would very much appreciate hearing from others who have successfully restored a 46-1201 and would welcome any lessons they've learned from their experiences.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I've not worked on that model but like most sets, the problems are often likely to be what some previous repair person did. How does the set look, some pictures are helpful. I'm sure there are folks here who have experience with your set.

Thanks Bob, I've attached a photo of what I'm starting with. I've already order a replacement dial glass and Philco decals from Radio Daze. As I normally do I will begin this one by replacing all capacitors and suspect resistors. I see this one like many AC/DC sets of this era has the potential of a hot chassis so I will be installing a polarized plug.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Jim,

Most likely the driver wheel is hardened or not turning the platen correctly.  It is easily removed and if you need someone to rebuild it, let us know and we can suggest.  Also, most of the time the mercury switches go bad, I know on mine, I ended up bypassing it in order to power up the record player motor for testing.  You can easily find a replacement mercury switch on line, or, like I did, find an old thermostat at a flea market and use that as a substitute.  Best of luck with it, I still have mind that I restored about 10 years ago and I enjoy it a lot.

I've restored 5 or 6 of these now and all of them needed new idler wheels for the phonograph and a new cartridge for the tone arm. Both can be purchased from TheVoiceofMusic.com

P51-3 Ceramic mono cartridge with 3 mil sapphire needle for 78 rpm records

(you may need to make two spacers out of metal or plastic tubing for under the mounting tabs on the cartridge to get the cartridge to sit out of the tone arm far enough. Other than that they fit perfect and sound good).

1434 phono idler wheel  (go under Search by V-M Part Number and type 1434 in the search box next to it)

Good luck!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Thanks for the info.  The mercury switch seems to be working.  It does look like this unit has been used much.  The rubber on the wheel seems to have some life in it. The speed seems to be correct in that the sound from the record is not distorted.

Thanks for the link and info on the cartridge.  Although my cartridge still functioning the sound is not very clear so I think I will change it out.  It could be that my 78's are a little worn and scratched but a new cartridge should determine this.