Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-200 code121 Filament Wiring incorrect

The + side of the filter cap would connect to pin 8 of the 35Z5. There's a 220 ohm resistor connected there also, at the other end of the resistor that is connected to the tie strip is where the + of the second cap is connected. At this point there's 1200 ohm resistor at the other end of it is where the + of the 3rd cap is connected.
All of the - sides connect to side of the off/on sw that doesn't have the ac cord connected to it.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry:

Thank you so much for that info.  I just found another 1200 ohm resistor since the one in the set no longer read close to 1200.  I understand where the tie strip is and I should have figured it out from the sch. I'll reconnect the two resistors  and reattach the pos. cap lead. Just curious what wattage or temp do you use when working on the tube pins? I take the tube out first and use a 25w but sometimes use my gun when I can't get the component out with the pencil. I  think someone else worked on this radio once before because the wiring for the rectifier was not correctly configured.  I'm recording every thing I do now instead of relying on my memory. Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie.
Icon_lol

Rich

I use whatever works. For most jobs the Weller pencil   http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=16943  works fine and it has led lights that make it easy to see what you are doing. If I need a little more heat I use the Weller jr it's 100w gun from the '50s or I have two old skool irons both are abt 60w but they are big and long. The heating element is kinda fat so they don't get into tight place to well w/out burning surrounding stuff. And finally I had a job that was somewhat difficult and got a 325w gun. It's swell! http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=17039

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

.pdf 35Z5GT.pdf Size: 225.76 KB  Downloads: 63

I will  try and attach a pdf for the 35Z5

Thanks David!  Better than my tube receiving manual. I'll keep with my files.

Rich

will try and link to site for tube info. David http://electronbin.com/sheets3.html

Thanks David.

Rich

Hi Terry:
I ran into a couple of problems namely the connections to the strip. One of the pos + wires is attached to the blue wire which is on pin 6 of the rectifier.  The 3rd pos + goes into that cone shaped test port above the rectifier.  Also, I attached the  1200 ohm resistor to the strip but to which of the terminals does it go?  The sch. shows it is the closest one to the rectifier.  The diagram also shows the other end of the 1200 R going to cone shaped test point.  In any event I still have a very bright panel lamp @ 30 volts and no filaments but maybe we're getting close.

Rich

Correction on my last message: Pos+ is on the plate Pin# 5.

Rich

Ok Rich,
It time for a pop quiz! Does your rectifier tube look like the one one the left or the one one the right??
Answer carefully your radios life depend on the correct answer.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The right.

LOL
Rich

Ding ding ding!!!! Your radio is a winner!!!!!

> One of the pos + wires is attached to the blue wire which is on pin 6 of the rectifier.

This is fine if there is something else connect to pin 6 also as it has no internal connect to the tube. A common configuration would be to have the 220 ohm resistor between pins 8 and 6. 6 being used as a tie point also it would have the 1200 ohm resistor connected there.

> I attached the  1200 ohm resistor to the strip but to which of the terminals does it go?

One end of the 1200 ohm resistor goes to the end of the 220 ohm resistor that isn't connected to pin 8. The other end connects to the screen grid of the audio output tube. Not sure which tube is used in your set, 50A5 (pin 3) or 50L6 (pin 4).

>Correction on my last message: Pos+ is on the plate Pin# 5.

EECCKKK!! [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...n_evil.gif]Reminds me of a song Another One Bites The Dust! The only place you should have an ecap connected to the 35Z5 cathode circuit (pin 8) NOT to the plate or heater pins as these have ac voltage on them.
Pic cutoff at the bottom sez cold side of the off/on sw.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry:
No wonder you have all those stars next to your name.  I understand everything (now).  Thanks for the drawing and the verboten about having the ecap on the plate (AC). I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me in simple terms that I can understand.  I'm very glad I joined this forum. I'll let you know how I did.  I still have to hook up a choke to replace the one that the radio came with.  It's temporarily hanging on to the chassis and I need a better speaker.  I have one from another radio that I can "cannibalize."

Gratefully, Icon_lolno
Rich

> I understand everything
Geez your doing a lot better than me!!!!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

> I understand everything
Geez your doing a lot better than me!!!!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry