Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Several radios

Thanks guys!

On the Philco sets the newer square one looks to be a 39-40 which is a pretty good performer. Did see a metal tag on the chassis which means it's a Canadian (no rubber wire) also has a rca jack too perhaps has an external input.

The other two you'll need both to get one working. The one on the left is a model 65 and the other is a 77. 65 is nothing to brag about and is missing the two audio output tubes (45's) read $$. Rf and audio stages are stunted a bit (2 rf,det, and power output). The 77 has a better design and will be a better playing set. The spkr should be interchangeable between the two sets but may have a bad field coil. Even though the dial escutcheons are different I'm pretty sure the either chassis can be fitted to either cabinet.

The set w/the green chassis looks to have a pair of 45 tube still in it.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the reality check, guys. What off the cuff looks to be a good deal, may not necessarily be so. I was judging by the conditions, which appears to be above fair, and there are definitely 4-5 that I like out of the lot, which compared to any deal I've ever been exposed to is a bargain in my book. These projects seem to absorb so much time and $, one must weigh all the variables-can you keep them in a relatively stable climate? How much time do you have to devote to these? And I agree with john to sell off the excess. Stuff accumulates quick! 

Jim

Terry;
  If it has the metal plate and a phono jack it may be a Canadian model, which would not be all that odd to find in Michigan since it border's Ontario on both the Southern and Northern peninsula. I think that it may be a 39-340, but I'm not sure, some Canadian Philcos didn't use the date code prefix, especially in the 1940s. It also is not quite true that they are free of rubber wire, free of rubber covers hookup wire in the point to point wiring, but they still had some in the IF cans, and maybe in the transformer leads on the 1939 models, even so it's still an improvement over all rubber wire.
Regards
Arran