Guest Join UsHello Guest,
Please feel free to join us!
Unlock sections of the Phorum that non-members cannot see.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Model 16X story
Thanks morz,

That is exactly what I thought. Anything that was obviously a flagship product, and has survived (mostly) intact deserves attention. The sheer number and size of components on the chassis tell you this was a serious product in its day.

Next steps are to do an R.F. alignment, although broadcast band was working very well already. The shadow meter worked wonderfully - worth rewinding the coil! It was hard to judge sound quality with the speaker face down on the bench, resting on a couple of wooden blocks (So I could test the wiring one last time), but I could hear good highs and lows, and response to the tone control switch. And my goodness, this thing will go loud!

Ed
usually even on the bench you could judge the quality potential, as the highs / lows will be heard.
When I heard the 37-116 while still on the table I immediately knew that once in the cabinet, it will blow the rest of my consoles away.
Same was with Zenith Spinet: the bass it had on the table immediately told me that once in the cabinet it will be booming, and so it was, to the point of me having to suppress it - too much.
People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.
Well, this project was all the excuse I needed to buy a signal generator. Not sure how I have managed without, but this and the next radio in the queue will benefit Icon_smile