Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1941 Ford car Philco model F-1841

Seem like you have plenty of juice. 
Disconnect #49 from the vc and touch the disconnected wire. should buzz loud.
If nothing there touch pin 6 of the 7C5 with a screw driver and you touching the metal portion of the screw driver. Should hear a buzz. Count the pins carefully as there is hv on pins 2 and 3  and you could get a shock if not careful.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Nothing on either one, its almost like the whole audio section is somehow dead. And it did work. The only other thing I changed was the electrolytics from the last time I turned it on.

Check across 7C5 pins 1 and 8 should see 6vdc. Remove 7C5 and check the resistance from pins 1 to 8 at the bottom of the tube should see a few ohms. If that checks out check the other voltages on the 7C5 w/tube in place and set on.
Pin 1 0v
Pin 2 several hundred volts
Pin 3 several hundred volts
Pin 6 -7vdc or so
Pin 7 +7vdc or so
Pin 8 +6vdc

GL

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

So it turns out the 7C5 must have been bad. I had the 6 volts, the high voltage, but I did not have the low voltage. I had another 7C5 put it in and I had static back. Took me a few minutes to find where the manual tuning was on the selector. I need to find some replacement for the tone adjustment as it no longer works either. Not sure how to set the station selectors either.

Looks like the presets are electronic rather than mechanical. This means that you have a pair of coils to adjust for each pushbutton. One of the coils peaks the ant circuit makes the station louder. And the other sets the frequency this adjusts which station you get. Most of the time if you  tune the osc adjustment more than a few stations away you'll need to readjust the ant coil to regain the sensitivity.

GL

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I'll probably take a look at it another time as they seem to be seized up. The manual tuning works fine and I can use it that way. Thanks for the help on everything, the radio should give me decent service when I get ready to use it.