Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Just starting out

So other then a woodshop class in junior high about 30 years ago I have no practical experience with wood working but I want to learn as I have a number of floor model cabinets that I’d like to put new life into.

With that said, where do I start when beginning to renew/refinish a piece?  What tools and equipment do I need and what’s the general process from old piece of junk to beautifully refinished piece?

Welcome. Here's an article that might help you get started.
http://www.stanwatkins.com/cabinet.htm
Also look through some older threads on here and read about the various ways some do their restorations
and there is some vey knowledgeable folks here that can answer your questions as you go.

Hello,
That is a VERY hard question for us to answer. There are so many tools and pieces of equipment you **need/could use** to make restorations run faster and smoother.

When I first started I bought veneer, wood glue, a few scrapers, Spray toner in the can, Clear lacquer in the can, Grain filler, #0000 steel wool, lacquer thinner, stripper, mineral spirits, rags, and lots of sand paper.

As you go along with restorations you will learn more about what to buy, where to buy, colors, techniques, and so on. Start a new thread for the radio cabinet you want to restore and from that point we can better advise you. So many of these guys are cabinet guru's. I am fairly new too. I have only been restoring cabinet for about 7 years and am always learning. My finished products aren't always perfect but one day when I am a real good cabinet restorer I will re-do all my cabinets to perfection.

Welcome and we cant wait to see your projects,
Kirk Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6