Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Electrolytic Capacitor for PHILCO 41-290

OK, I have replaced all my capacitors in my Philco 41-290. Piece of cake until I came to one of two electrolytic capacitors. I relpaced the one with standard axal leads with a 12 mfd eleccap. No problem. The other electrolytic cap(part no 30-2475) is more challenging. It has a black lead out of one end and a seperate blue and a seperate red lead out the other end. I think I I have to use two elec caps of 20 and 10 mfd. The problem is I don't know how to wire these. Do I tie the two neg ends together and attach to the black wire? If so, then what about the positive leads-does one go to the red and one to the blue? If so, which one? Can somebody help with a description or better yet a drawing? Thanks much for all your help in advance.

Happy New Year! BTW, a wives tale says that whatever you are doing on New Year's will mean you will be doing much of the same thing through out the year!

Hi,

It is a dual cap. The red should tie into the field coil and be the 16mfd or the replacement 20 mfd. The blue should tie into the junction of the 18K and 33K resistor and use the 10mfd cap. The negative leads should tie together and go to the black lead to chassis ground. Check the old cap and see if it marked on the cap body anywhere. These caps should also have a voltage rating of 450v.

Hope this helps
Terry