Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to Soften Leather/Cowhide cases.

What is the best product to use on old leather/Cowhide cases? I have seem some portable tube radios with these cases and, of course, early transistor radios. What got me thinking about this is the Magnavox Envoy transistor radio I decided to try out today. Got it basically for free in a box of parts I bought ages ago and it's been a shelf queen ever since as the case is hard and it is missing a knob bright. Still, a new battery and a shot of control cleaner brought this crazy thing back to life! So, even though it's not in perfect shape, I'd like to try and keep it from getting worse. At least I would like to use something where the back 'hinges' for the battery and chassis access.

No matter where you go, there you are.

My go to for old leather is neats foot oil  NOT COMPOUND. Leather will soak the stuff up may take many applications to get the leather nice and soft. David

Thanks! I thought I recalled something like that from years ago, but if I recall right, it was near impossible to find around here at the time.

Tractor Supply has it...

Found some at my local Tractor Supply. They all said compound on the containers, so I just picked up the smallest one they had that said it was for softening leather. Had to look with the harness supplies.

Compound contains stuff other than neats foot oil like petrochemicals try amazon get the good stuff. David

Well, that's $5 down the drain. Icon_sad