Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1934 Philco 60B Alignment Problem

Yes Terry, you and Ron nailed it. The unit is a model 66 per label on chassis.

I blew out the debris collected in the tuner but it also required a tweak on the rotor adjustment screw to finally eliminate the pop and scratch. The SW dial covers 1.5 to 2.4 mhz. AM is only 550 to 1500kc which made alignment interesting since the high side is suppose to be align to 1700kc in the alignment instructions. I was able to align the radio to 600kc and 1400kc. Went back and forth until to improve the sensitivity. Its playing well on AM. I left SW alone. Here's the dial of the 66.

Are there any performance of cost difference between the Model 60 and 66? I've looked at several of these ranging from 1934 to 36 and I couldn't find any consistent between the band coverages.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

The dial looks to be for a 60, perhaps a reproduction.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Steve, I don't believe so. The dial is aged and heavily warped and the pop rivets appear to be original.

Steve is correct about it being a 60 dial, however. A 66 dial (which is what this chassis should have) would have a SW dial scale of 4.2 to 12 mc.

Easy enough to loosen a set screw and replace a 66 dial with one from a 60, which must have been done here.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It may be playing right now but if it were my set I would go through it and clean up some of the work the last guy did, it looks pretty sloppy, even on the terminal board. One thing I would straighten out, or replace is that plastic fuse holder, those are for automotive use not mains use, and the installation looks terrible. A lot of people seem to add fuse holders but I don't think they are really necessary, they usually put them in series with the power transformer primary, and unless they are of a really low amperage they won't save the power transformer should a filter cap short out. It could be a reproduction dial for a model 60, those have been around for quite a while, 20 years or more at least, the hollow rivets holding it on look like they might be aluminum, the originals were brass I think.
Regards
Arran

Ok, 4.2 to 12 mc. I will run the rf generator to verify then have the boss get a 66 dial from a junker or Radiodaze.

As for the fuseholder I couldn't agree more but its not my call.