Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-1 grille cloth

Again, the age old question arises: What style cloth was used with the 38-1? You don't see all that many postings on this model, and not a whole lot of special info available either, it seems. Thanks!

It used the 1938 Philco chevron or "V" pattern, much different than the 1934-37 chevron pattern.

There are no exact replacements available. The GRC41 sold by Radio Daze is as close as you can get these days.

http://www.radiodaze.com/grille-cloth-41...c41-25x25/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron! I think that will look just fine in there. Icon_biggrin  Compared to what's in there now- Faded green flowered drapery from the 40's or 50's. I feel that the fabric change-out was performed when the chassis was out of the cabinet for repairs in September of 1946.   Icon_mrgreen   Still waiting for a warmer day to bring the cabinet outside for the rejuvenation process...

Removed the old (previously replaced) "grille cloth" , which was an old, once green-now faded, whitish flower patterned living room curtain, which revealed a very nice, though tragically neatly cut, remnants of the original material underneath. Looking from the front you can see where the original material went all the way from the top to bottom of the sound board. About 3/4" on either side the edges sees the original cloth in a roughly 1 1/4" strip on the right side and tapering at the bottom to 3/4"; the left side 1" down to 3/4", revealing the Chevron pattern in its' shiny threaded light and golden brown brilliance, according to the way the light hits it. It really must have been magnificent when new!!! Ordered new cloth from Radio Daze LLC, as per Ron"s instruction. Can't wait till it gets here. Will have to look up the link to apply the new cloth, as I've never had to fool with any of that to any degree, as most all radio's I've had pass through my fingers always came with their original cloth in pretty good shape. There was one or two, maybe  Icon_think   It's been awhile...  Icon_biggrin

Well, I installed the cloth after several days of preparing, sweating, agonizing, and generally being on edge the whole time. This was by far the worst part of the whole project. The sound board was removed and re-installed no less than 37 times. (I counted). After carefully measuring, cutting, trimming, ironing, stretching, and adhering the stupid thing, and doing a "TA-DA"  moment with my brother (After I thought it was "perfect") and within 10 seconds, his eagle eye said it was off. I had looked at it and adjusted it for hours and hours and hours. Was able to reposition it completely twice, and it is close for now. That's as good as it's gonna get. Till my OCD kicks in and I purchase another cloth and have another go at it (pocketbook permitting). The ladies at Philco probably were able to apply to cloth to the soundboard in about 1 minute or less.  Icon_redface Oh, well. This baby sounds incredible, grille-cloth askew, or no. I LIKE IT!!!

Don't sweat it. I've seen original cloth in a well cared for Philco (not one that was "barn fresh" in which the cloth has obviously shrunk) that was applied crooked at the factory. I've also seen a few original PHILCO decals that were applied crooked at the factory.

These things were being built fast to sell fast, and perfection wasn't always the goal - just making production on time.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes. Thanks for that, Ron. That does make me feel a little bit better. It actually looks quite good, and although the regular "Joe" off the street would see nothing wrong, I see it. My brother (who built custom thin Acoustat tower speakers back in the 70's-80's, 2 of which are here that he built and put the covers on himself... So yes. That bugs him as it does me). Coincidently, my Uncle had a Philco -I daresay this exact model- around 1977, unworking and in the far corner of the living room, where I would go and "adjust" the nearly identical looking and feeling as the new one here (minus the gold thread now omitted on the new cloth) grillecloth for hours until it was "perfect". It was about 40 years old at the time, and the cloth was loose enough to where it could be deemed perfectly aligned when I was through with it. I know how that pattern is to look... Egads! I think this monster has come full circle!  Icon_e_surprised

Here is the result of hours and hours and hours of burdensome cloth application. I got physically ill from doing this...

What's wrong with that? Leave it alone... Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron! I think I got the pattern as close and evenly spaced on the board as I could, especially the section of pattern in the middle- even now, I can tweak it close to perfection in the center rungs, but the outer edges need to be dropped just a smidgen. I said I pulled the fabric up completely twice, with hundreds of mini adjustments which consisted of pulling the cloth up and out in spots. The Chevron pattern was giving a strange effect on my eyes after awhile, kind of like those "magic eye" posters. After several days of fooling with it, I got quite ill and needed a whole day to recuperate from the exhausting experience... Icon_sick I'll not be doing another one of those for a long while...

Looks good!!!

I too have several radios here, with original grille cloth, that have the pattern slightly crooked or off center. As Ron said, most radios were built fast on an assembly line, and went out the door with what were considered "acceptable imperfections".

Looks Fantastic !!!!!!

Thanks so much guys! It's hard to tell from the image, but all of the Chevron lines wind up exactly even at the corners and in the center rungs. That was the most difficult part of all. Right now I could pull it again and realign it, but that will have to wait for round two... In about 10 years!  Icon_lol  I can live with it for now...