Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1940 Model AR-9 Shortwave Auto Radio

Hello Philco Members,

I am currently doing some research on the "first" automobile Shortwave radios, which Philco in 1940 had first announced one with their Model AR-9 combination Shortwave and AM frequency bands auto radio.

I was wondering if any of the members has a Philco brochure or Sales catalog, which shows a picture of this particular radio ?

Thanks Rick

Not I.    Sorry bud.   Icon_sad

The Philco Library has the 1940 RMS Year Book which has a schematic on p. 136 and alignment procedure on p. 166. Unfortunately no photo of the unit.

Thanks Bob, I did see this same information in the 1940 Philco RMS Year Book. But, I am hoping that one of the members will have an actual photo of it.

Rick

Hello Rick. I could only find online this not very good pic.
Go to page 36 of this link.
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Arc...940-03.pdf

Hello KCMike,

The Philco ad that you are referring to, in the 1940 March issue of Radio Retailing magazine, is what I believe is showing a picture of Philco's line of "regular" Auto Broadcast Am radios with its separate dash mounted remote tuner control head. The ad later on explains about its "New" Short-wave Auto radio, but no photo of it.

I originally saw this same ad awhile ago, but after closer examination, I do not believe it is a photo of Philco's "New" combination Short-wave and AM Auto radio. That is why I am hoping that one of the members will have some Philco literature on this particular radio, which will also show a photo of it.

Thanks for sharing your info-Rick