Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 59

I have one of these that I am in the process of recapping. I have all the caps done except the e-caps. It has a dual 8 and 4 mfd cap Philco part # 30-2013. My questions is which dot on the bottom of the can represents which cap size? There are three dots a red, green and black. I can not tell from the schematic which is which. Is the black grround? Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,
red would be 8uf (connected to 80 or b+ line somewhere) green 4uf (goes to the field coil) and they would share the black negative which goes to the center tap.

Going on memory from about a year ago recap.......... I'll try and double check this tonight..

Jerry,
Thanks for the info. Do you have one of these? How good of a performer is it? Did you get a chance to verify the connections?
thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,
It wasnt my radio, so its not here anymore (and its been a few years ago), otherwise I could take some pictures of the connections and post them for you. Were you going to try and restuff the cap, or add a terminal strip underneath and wire in new seperate caps? Also the negative sides(black dot) of the caps get tied together and dont go to the chassis ground, but to some connection point from the center tap of the transformer. Dont know if this will help... If your not sure after checking out the wires on your set, please post your questions.... my explanation stinks, but hopefully it'll help more than confuse you.

[Image: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/1philco/59.jpg][/img]

Jerry,
Think I get it. Finished recap job and brought it up slowly using my variac. Just a hum! Bummer! Think I need a 42 and a 80 tube. I know a 42 it tested on bad. The 80 is questionable also. One more question. Should I have disconnected the wire from the black dot and connect the neg ends to it? I just soldered a wire to the connection and connected the e-caps to that.
thanks for the help,
Chris

Hmmmm - did you disconnect the old cap from the circuit (red and green wires) ? If not, that would cause the hum. Is the old cap isolated (usually a cardboard tube) from the chassis? -- if not then try moving the black lead to a terminal strip so its not grounded to the chassis.