Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mystery vintage Philco military radio test item?

I recently acquired this pc vintage Philco test gear in a big lot of vintage items. It is a Philco "Mobiliner" Mod # 5005.
It has a date stamped in ink on outside of case dated Mar 16 1953. It appears to be a old RF generator without a tuning-condenser, and uses only 1 fixed RF coil to oscillate a 1000 cycle output. The front panel has 2 crystal-sockets where 2 crystals can be inserted for high & low freqs ( crystals missing), a stepped-attenuator for deviation-control, RF attenuator, screw-on type RF output jack. The lower fnt of cabinet has banana-plug connectors for external battery-supply DC operation with 180 v in ( for tube plates) & 6 v for filaments. It also has banana-plugs for 6.3 v out + & - connectors. The main ac cable to internal mounted ac trans is supplied thru rear of cabinet.
Was wondering if anyone here has ever ran across one of these Philco Mobiliners mod 5005 before, & exactly what it was used for? I figure it must have been designed to align or calibrate military-communications equip either in the shop, or out in the field? Im not sure tho. Any info would be appreciated!, & if the item is worth restoring at all for any future use? Any ham operators here, that may know? Icon_confused:

I added a few photos of this newest Philco Mystery mod 5005 item for help in identifying its what & wherefore. Any help would be appreciated! Have any you guys ever ran across one of these before? Its dated Mar 1953.

http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss202.../?newest=1