Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TRANSITONE

I just got a Transitone 3 1931 vintage ,anyone else out there intrested in these early Auto Radios? I'm building quite a collection of them , only once I get them going I don't know want to do with them?

Hi Bill--I see you have just found a Transitone model 3.I have one too,but the mechanical connection between the steering column control head and the receiver case is missing.Can you supply me with a photo or magazine article copy showing this connection.I would reimburse you for any copying or mailing costs.Many thanks.Bryan Hodgson in NJ.[bhodgson1@comcast.net]

Sure, my Transitone 3 is being shipped to me now ,I'll let you know when it get's here , I believe there is two head controls, one for the steerin column the other for in the dash, BILL

That model 3 is s big, honkin' thing to have mounted under a dash. I had one years ago, and my recollection is that there was just one armored cable, running from te control head to the radio case. The "B" battery case is always missing, becdause it was dropped into a hole, cut in the car's floorboards. It didn't have a chance with all of the slop that it received in use. I'm sure happy that I never had to do a first-time installation on one. It must have been a nightmare.

I don't recall that I had the speaker for it, but I'd guess that it was a cone magnetic speaker.

You should see how the 1929 Transitone was installed! The car's guages had to be relocated as the radio would take up the middle of the dash! the first Transitone {1929} had to be tuned in stages like mid 20's home radios , had two tuning dails , Believe me the 1930 109a and the model 3 Transitones are better design for installation, BILL

BILL Wrote:I just got a Transitone 3 1931 vintage ,anyone else out there intrested in these early Auto Radios? I'm building quite a collection of them , only once I get them going I don't know want to do with them?
Maybe buy some cars to install them in?
Best Regards
Arran

I've got my Transitone 3 , the cable between the head and radio box looks about the same as the cables used on the Transitone 5 [1933] I've also got one of those .There is also a cogged piece that runs the dial scale . I need the speaker assemble, need pictures so I maybe able to build something , and yes I have thought about getting a car for my 1930 Transitone lettering the car up to advertise Transitone, "Your Never Alone With A Transitone"

See my message of June 16th--can anybody send me a picture of the Model 3 steering column control head to receiver box connections.Many thanks Bryan in NJ

If you're thinking of installing ANY radio in a Model A Ford, forget it. There was no "underdash", because the fuel tank was totally behind the dash panel.

In those days, there was article upon article about how to install a radio (ANY radio) in a Model A. Try as they may, no installation was worth a tinker's dam.

Perhaps you could find an old Buick, Hudson, or a Chrysler product, they were nice looking, well trimmed, and had the gas tank where it should be, in the back.
Best Regards
Arran

I have a 29 Chevy coach that was my father's uncle's car ,he bought it new and drove it 30 years,then I got it from him, when I has a kid I thought of installing a radio in it , but have desided not to do it , I also have a 1930 Chevy truck.
The Transitone I have was OME for Chrysler cars ,infact it came out of a 1930 Dodge, a 1930 Plymouth would be an afordable car , I also owned a 1931 Model A Ford snowmobile not very fast but it was great fun up here in Northern NY winters, I sold it and wish I hadn't now, I also have a 1931 Harley-Davidson a former police motorcycle, a police reciever was available in 1932, that would be fun to find one of those radios, BILL