Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AUTOMOBILE RADIO CORP. TRANSITONE

I HAVE THE 1930 TRANSITONE 109A BUILT BY "AUTOMOBILE RADIO CORP. " I'M TRYING TO FIND AS MUCH INFORMATION AS I CAN ,I HAVE A FAIR COLLECTION OF INFORMATION NOW ,WOULD LIKE TO FIND OTHER OWNERS OR JUST PEOPLE INTERESTED IN INFORMATION ON THIS SET TO SHARE INFO, I HAVE SO FAR NOT LOCATED ANOTHER ONE ,DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF ANOTHER? IT WAS CONSIDERED "OME" FOR CHRYSLER AUTOMOBILES AND SOME OTHER CARS IN 1930. MY RADIO CAME OUT OF A 1930 DODGE FROM MONTANA, THERE MUST BE OTHERS OUT THERE!

There are very few auto radios made prior to 1930 survivning. The set you have was made by the company that Philco finally bought and used the Transitone name that came with the deal. I have a friend in Houston, Texas who has chased this history a long ways. The original Transitone sets had a very crude control head. It had two controls that came through the dash panel, so I understand. My eyes have never beheld one.

The set that my guy in Texas found was one offered by Delco-Remy, manufactured by General Motors Radio Corp., in Dayton, Ohio. Like all of the auto sets made then, it used the car's 6 volt system for "A" power, and batteries for "B" voltage, often in a box, dropped through the floor boards. The Delco set he has is in his 1930 Cadillac V16 roadster.

:I believe I know the same guy ,I've taked with him on the phone ,met him at Flea markets and once he came out to my home and took pictures of my TRANSITONE, he knows of no other TRANSITONE like mine, I'm glade to hear he found a 30 Delco I know he was looking for one .I would really like to find an installation [if they ever existed] instructions, my big dream is to install it in a 1930 Plymouth[a car that would be in my price range] have the car letter up advertising the "TRANSITONE" Plymouth was two years a head of Ford and Chevrolet with a radio option "YOUR NEVER ALONE WITH A TRANSITONE" was the slogan on the brochure I have.