Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Late model 116B cabinet

Today the baseboard came in from Steve Davis. He did an excellent job reproducing a replica of the original. The original was badly delaminated. I thought I might be able to reconstruct it but decided w/a new one after removing the old one, it just fell part. He also reproduced the veneer bands that are fitted around the base of the outside of the cabinet.
I do need to make a small adjustment to the tongue edge of the base it's abt 1/64" too wide on the left side but short of that it's a perfect fit. A little bit of sanding and it will be done.
Next is to mask up the gluing surfaces and give it a couple of coats sanding sealer and tone to match the inside of the cabinet.

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Beautiful!

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Steve is the best Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Been busy working on the cabinet. Toned and fitted the baseboard, stripped, cleaned, sanded, and a couple of coats the sanding sealer. Found a section of tree branch that fits the hole snuggle so that's next on the agenda plug and veneer patch the hole.

On a personal note I'm wired for sound and video this weekend got all kinds wires and sensors glued and taped to my noggin for some medical testing (EEG). In the beginning of Jan I should have some diagnosis. As some of you know I've been having some periodic seizures over the last few years. I've been kinda hoping that they would go away like they came but that hasn't happened. Some other issues had to fall into place before I could have this looked at. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can put this behind and move forward.

Would like to spend more time on the 116B over the weekend but w/being wired up it makes it difficult. It helps keep my mind busy. I'm very happy about how the cabinet is looking so far.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hope those tests give you some answers Terry!

I would not mind finding one of those late model 116B sets, my late uncle had one when I visited him around 1988 and I used to listed to it, it was my first exposure to a shadowgraph tuning indicator. Ron had one for sale but even if it were not pick up only, shipping out my way would not make sense since they do also exist in Canada. I also like the style of the cabinet much more then the early 116B, which more resembles an overgrown 120B then a high end table set, not that I would turn one down either.
Regards
Arran

So now that I have all of the eeg glue out of my hair it's back to the cabinet at hand. Got it all back together with trim and molding in place. Grain filled and sand sealer. Repaired the hole in the side and toned. Both of us need a little break to out gas a bit. It's looking pretty good but it has been breaking out in a white rash here and there after applying sanding sealer. Have it under control but it's a little annoying. Think I'm going to set it aside till after the holidays. I can't find my last PHILCO logo decals so sent for a new sheet. 

Here's quick peek so far.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

ummm...Terry...

...hate to say this but your grille cloth is upside down... Icon_eek

otherwise the cabinet looks great...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sorry guys I has the camera lens on backwards [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif].

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

MUCH better. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Terry;
  Are you sure that the hole was added later? I can't remember what the 116Bs have but some of the 16Bs have a switch on the side.
Regards
Arran

Hi Arran, That's what I thought when I bought it that it was perhaps suppose to be there. But there were no wires or a switch inside. I pmd Ron and he verified that the 116's didn't have a switch much to my disappointment. I'm thinking that the switch was used on the older 16's to turn the qavc off/on as it doesn't work well on weak signals.
I've got a 16RX  http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1935a/#Model_16RX  from 1935 and I don't think it has one either. It's been on the back burner  apart for a while having some veneer work done. Maybe in 2019 right Kirk??

It's looking a lot better than a hole now. I may play with it a little more but it pretty tough to hide the circle. For the holidays I put it back together and have been enjoying a lot.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

All model 16 sets have a switch on the side. This turned QAVC (squelch) off and on in the 5-band models; and turned bass compensation off and on in the 4-band models.

No model 116 sets had a switch on the side from the factory.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Terry;
  So there is no indication as to what that hole may have been for? It looks like whomever added it did so in a fairly professional way as it's a clean hole. About the only way to make that invisible would be to patch over it with a piece of veneer, preferably a strip from top to bottom, either that or make use of it by adding an input jack or a headphone jack. I was sort of wondering if maybe the power switch on the chassis was bad, I've seen bat switches added to radios for that reason before, or to add some sort of input or output jack, but you say that there are no extra wires or remains of under the chassis?
Regards
Arran

Looks awesome Terry!

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6