Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

67 mustang Philco model 7TPZ

Hi all! In my search for a working model to place in my Mustang, I have ended
up with a few of these radios now. One of which I now have working. My question is,
on one of the radios the tuner buttons work fine and moves the indicator but when
I attempt to manually tune using the dial, it just spins and does not engage to allow tuning.
Does any one ( and I am sure someone here does) know how the mechanism engages? Any one have a schematic?
Also, does anyone know where to find a set of knobs for these radios? Thanks so much and what a fascinating
forum. It has really gotten me interested in these older radios.

There is a small clutch between the manual tuning and the tuning mechanism. The clutch is normally engaged. When any button is pushed, a slide bar disengages the clutch so the manual tuning does not load the buttons and the knob does not spin. The clutch is either dirty or out of adjustment. Just examine it and the problem should be obvious. Clean with alcohol and/or adjust by moving the stationary disc closer to the pressure disc.

Quite offen I find the needle assemby is the problem, clean and lube the the shaft controling this , BILL

Thanks for the responses. What I finally figured out is that the gear assembly that passes through the pressure plate was broken. This allowed the gear to spin freely without moving the pressure plate so no force was put on the rubber washer. I was able to glue the two together and now it holds and allows the pressure to be transmitted to the tuning mechanism allowing it to work. Hope this helps someone as I now have a few of these radios and it seems to be a common problem. Thanks again for the replys!