Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

620/630 "Philco" decal placement

I'm trying to determine the proper location of the PHILCO decal on my 620 and 630. Most 630's that I see online have it between the tuning dial and the band selector switch. While the 630 that I recently purchased, which I believe has the original finish, has it up top. Also, I have a 1936 brochure that shows a 630 with the logo at the top.

Just the opposite seems to be true of the 620. Every 620 that I see online has it at the top, but this same brochure shows the logo location for the 620 between the tuning dial and the band selector switch.

Were they in different locations based on run.......early or late? Where they were made? Were there different manufacturing plants? I want to make sure I put it in the correct place.

Derek - take a look at Ed Locker's 620B, which I posted in the "Inside of a Philco 620 Cabinet" topic:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=188

As you can see, the PHILCO decal goes above the speaker grille opening. This holds true for Model 630B as well.

I've seen the pre-production illustrations you refer to in those brochures, salesman's catalogs, etc., that show the decal in between the tuning knob and band switch knob. This was probably not done in production, although, knowing Philco, variants could possibly exist.

It was common for Philco to illustrate a new model with a certain "look" and then make slight changes in it before it went into production. The Model 20 cathedral comes to mind; I've never seen one of those with the odd escutcheon pictured in period advertisements. And I could go on, but I feel this is sufficient for now.

The 1936 Philcos were built in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia, with the main facility on C Street between Tioga and Ontario Streets, and in nearby "satellite" plants in the same neighborhood. Cabinets were built by Philco and by subcontractors in the Philadelphia area. I'll have to look up the info for Model 620B later...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, Derek, I *almost* forgot about this...

All of the 620B cabinets, which included the shouldered Models 623B (battery) and 642B (32-volt DC) were produced at Philco's Plant #4, which was part of the Philco complex, on the southeast corner of Ontario and C Streets.

In fact, looking further, I see that ALL of the 1936 shouldered tombstone cabinets were produced "in-house" by Philco's Plant #4; none were farmed out to subcontractors.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for clearing this up Ron. It seems a lot of the 630's I see have it incorrectly placed between the tuning knob and the band select knob.