Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco radio for 1934 Nash Big 6 automobile

I have a 1934 Nash Big 6 brougham in original unrestored condition. I would dearly love to have an original Philco radio that was offered as a factory accessory in this Nash. If anyone has a radio for sale please let me know. I am not sure exactly what model was used in this rare car. I have managed to get the tuning head from another Nash owner, but no radio. Also I need the special dash panel that has the holes in it for the tuning head. I do not know if the speaker was in the radio box or not. Another source told me that I am looking for a Philco Model g, but I cannot verify that.
Fred Puhn
National City, CA
fredpuhn@cox.net

I'll do some research and see if I can come up a model # . As a rule the Philco radio model would start out with NT, = Nash Transitone , I don't believe I have a box , I think a GT would be a Graham, maybe very simular to Nash , PT 1 and CT 1 are the same except CT has speaker on box cover PT has external speaker , PT 1= Packard 110, CT 1= Chrysler,Dodge,Plymouth and DeSoto

You have the hardest part of the set that there is: the control head. You're mighty lucky to have a '34 Nash as it is. In my mind, it was one of the handsomest Nashes built in that period of time.

Philco's radios were similar for most cars, for the most part in that few years. In many cases, the control head gearing ratios matched the tuning condenser ratios in the set. My guess is going to be that the Nash factory set had a separate speaker, mounted on the firewall, often in the center of it. It would have been Philco's 8 inch style "S" speaker, if that's the case.

The other possibility is that the speaker could have been a "header" speaker, mounted in the center of the headliner, immediately above the windshield. You can gently feel around that area to see if you can find a circular hole in a wood, or celotex panel. Where radios used a header speaker, the set had less audio power output, because the speaker barked right at your ears. Header speakers appeared around 1934-35, and were gone by 1938.

Also, the smaller, and cheaper radios had the speaker in the same case as the radio chassis. If you happen to ind all of the pieces you need, when you get things together, try to replace the original 6 volt field coil speaker with a later PM dynamic type. That will cut about 1.25 amperes battery drain from the radio.

Try to look up the Nash Owner's Club. Someone there should have some dope on the set you're looking for, and maybe even steer you into all the stuff you're looking for.

Tons of luck. You have a nice car.