Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grill cloth advise needed.

Anyone have suggestions on what grill cloth to use on a 15x. Checked out Ron'€™s book and can'€™t seem to pin down a match. Looked at Antique Electronic Supply and Antique Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters. Jerry, if you'€™re reading this, I like the cloth on your 14x, (from a previous post) Looks close too. Any info on that material would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Ron F
I don't think this cloth is original
[Image: http://www.bmara.com/front400.jpg] Icon_confused

Ron, in some radios you will never find an exact match but try to choose a cloth that is for radios of the same era and same brand, http://www.grillecloth.com/pages/p1.html I attached a link from people I have purchased cloth from before and have been pleased with their service. What you have is a stately old radio that would look great restored, good luck

Hi Ron

The exact pattern for the 15X and other Philco consoles of that era isn't being reproduced. The closest thing you can get would be either Pattern # 40 or 49, from Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters.

The 15X is a really cool set. I like how it has that little lamp that shines on the speaker grille when the set is on.

Oh, and by the way, that is NOT the original cloth on your 15X.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron F.

There wasnt much left to the original cloth on my 14x. The replacement is very close to the original though. I think I still have what was left of the original for reference if it would be of some use, just let me know and I'll try and dig it up. The 14x is a great playing radio, one of my favorites. I'm sure the 15x will be too. The power transformer on the 14x is HUGE ! ---Standard Philco issue from this era.

Thanks for the offer Jerry, I went ahead and ordered a cloth from Radio Daze.

The weather's getting pretty cool in Wisconsin, as you know. Just trying to get the 15x done before it gets too bad. Can't count on Indian Summer these days, half the people around here don't know what it is. Bring up Indian Summer anymore and they look at you like your crazy or something.

Figure about a five step process, got done with step two yeasterday, things don't go so fast when the temp doesn't get past the 60s.

Well Jerry growing up in northern Ohio, Indian Summer was a streak of warm weather after the first frost/killing frost in Oct/Nov. Warmer than normal sometimes hazy and breezy. Not sure how it is described in Wisc, in Ga that seems to occur more into Dec.