Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TRANSITONE

I've found a 1930 Transitone installation manual, "AUTOMOBILE RADIO CORPS" , I've been sreaching for one, wasn't sure if one was ever made , I've also got bulitins for the Transitone 3 ,1931, Philcos first car radio that comes with templets for mounting the Transitone 3, Is anyone else out there interested in these early auto radios? ,Would like to share information .
It's too bad these old cars are being cut up for street rods these days, lets at lest try to preseve the radios for future generations.

Hi Bill,

I have not seen that publication. It must be just before Philco acquired the Transitone line of auto radios from ARC.
The the 109 page Philco 1931-1937 Auto Radio Service manual has all the models, but no installation info, just the schematics, parts listing and alignment info, etc. I do have some Transitone 800-series model individual install sheets, but not a comprehensive manual such as yours. How many pages is your manual?

Chuck

The manual that I've bought ,and is being shipped to me now , is put out by AUTOMOBILE RADIO CORPS, 20 pages on what they call "T" dial model , the radio I have , the bottom of the first page has :
AUTOMOBILE RADIO CORP
January 1, 1930

Copyright 1930
By
The AUTOMOBILE RADIO CORPS
NEW YORK ,New York
Then there are also 30 pages of service bulletins on the PHILCO Transitone that are also coming with this manual. I have been having a hard time trying to find ANYTHING on this 1930 Transitone there is NO schematic in Riders I did how ever find a schematic in Gersbeck, I have a copy of the sales brochure for Transitone given away by Chrysler at the 1930 Detriot Auto Show , and I have a copy of the TRANSITONE NEWS, a news paper given a away at the 1929 Indianapolis 500 , I have a Transitone 3 and parts of the 1929 Transitone , which there seams to be more of around than the 1930 "T" dial, I've located a 1929 Stutz and maybe a 1929 Packard with the 1929 Two dial Transitone, but have never located a 1930 "T" dail Transitone ,I really can't believe I have the only one left ,there must be some more around?

I've got the manuals, Lots of interesing stuff! Also came with a original 1931 PHILCO owners policy and guarrantee card , Fell free to drop me a line anyone who is interested.

I have a 1931 Packard 833 with a transitone installed. It has a dynamotor in a box under the rear floor which was removed for some body painting about 37 years ago. I wish to reconnect the three wire harness to the dynamotor but have no schematic, Can you help. I can take photos of installation or any part at this time. Thank you

Could you give me the model number, I'm thinking you've got a Transitone 3 ,that would be an original 1931 radio , if so the dynamotor is an aftermarket install 1932 or later ,Auto radios before 1932 had "B" batterys, I'll need a model number on the dynamotor if the radio is indeed a Transitone 3, I'm sure we can wake though this wiring either way. If you have to you could go back to the "B" batterys, you can call me at 315-583-5765

Bill: I have sent photos of the Transitone as installed in a 1931 Packard 833. The dynamotor has not been reinstalled as the floorboards were removed. I have not removed the radio to open the case and see if the wiring diagram and model number are present. Perhaps you can tell what model it is? You may post the photos here if you know how. I don't.

I might be interested in the 1931-37 service manual. I am working on a 1935 CT2 chassis and have no voltage readings on the tubes. I am getting a motorboat sound coming of the speaker and it changes with the volume control;
how much real info does the service manual give you.Riders stinks.
Jay

The manual I have was printed in 1931! The newest radio is the Transitone 3! I have Riders And there is sometimes no voltages listed , I've got Gurnsbeck, I'll see if that is any better, .Also you may want to check on a tube manual That will give you voltages ,
I've restored sevral CT-2's there in Chrysler automobiles , Philco Transitones where used in several mades in the 1930's Electronicly there are all fairly simular ,look thought your Riders and find a simular radio with voltage readings.