Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Anyone know about Watterson Speakers?

Greetings,

I just came across a pair of Texas made Watterson speakers. They appear to be from the 1950-60's. They are a two-way design with one 8" mid woofer
and one horn tweeter which looks to be about 6-7". They sound very good with my Magnavox 5 WPC tube amp. One thing that I am curious about is the design.
One cabinet has the woofer on top of the tweeter and the other has the tweeter on top of the woofer. Has anyone else seeing this type of configuration?

Thanks

I've never even heard of Watterson speakers. Have you any further info on this company? A quick Google search revealed nothing.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I haven't had any luck finding any info on these speakers. The closest thing I found was a seller on Audiogon.com who was selling a set of Wattersons also. They were a different model and design. I just emailed him to see what else he knows about them. Upon further research it seems that I'm not the only one seeking more info on these mystery speakers.

The tweeter should always be on top for floor standing speakers. I can't think of any exceptions to this rule.

I agree. I'm wondering if this set was part of a 4 piece speaker system that had two sets of speakers in opposite set-ups. I'm going to remove the legs and flip the speaker upside down to match the other. Hear are some more pics.

http://jnunez.myphotoalbum.com

I got a pair of Wattersons back in the early 70's that came from the home of someone that was changing their stereo system. By the time I got them, my dad had already installed new 8" coaxials. I've since rebuilt and refinished them. The cabs are real wood measuring 10.5 by 12.5 by 28 and sit in 2 inch legs. Watterson and High Fidelity are stencilled on a brass polished metal plate at the base of the speaker cab and this plate helps to secure the front wood panel behind it. The face plate panels were cut for 8" woofers and I believe a 4" tweeter or midrange. The faceplate piece to which the speakers attach can very easily be reversed so the woofer is up top. Four screws behind brass hole covers in the grill cloth hold the faceplate in place. Remove the screws, pull the facepate with speakers away, turn it upsidedown and reinstall and you have woofer uptop. I did some research about 6 years ago when I was rebuilding them and found reference to Watterson Electronics somewhere in Texas, but not much else. Hope this helps.