Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What to do with model 65 cabinet legs, falling apart

Need ideas on these. I've managed to salvage most of the veneer on the cabinet, and can replace what's left easily enough. But what to do with these legs:

[Image: http://www.hondaspree.net/other/leg.jpg]

Most galling, looks like the damaged part was spun with the entire side. I don't have all the missing little bits, and even the one's left are falling off in place as I work around them.

I'm tempted to cut the bottom parts of the legs off and either respin them, or lathe new ones from scratch, and reattach.

Opinions?

What happened is that Philco or the cabinet builder used layers of wood and probably then cut the pieces in the size it needed and then put them on a wood lathe and turned them to the shape desired. Since they were layered (glued) when the glue was exposed to air it broke down and some of the layers fell off. I don't know how the legs are connected but if the are connected to the lower framework then disconnect them and maybe you can find a local wood worker to turn you 4 new ones. If they are part of the main corner ribs then you may have to carefully cut then and do the same. Another option would be to go to home depot or lowe's and see what they have in the way of wood spindles and cut the area just below where the square ends and graft into some new spindle legs.

This is always a tough problem any your leg is horrible !
If that were mine i would saw the leg-s off , sand the broken surfaces flat and glue on cut blocks of new wood then rough cut them with a sharp knife then turn them . If you dont have a lathe then rig one up with a drill .

You can buy those huge double ended wood screws to put the legs back on the cabinet .
Piecing those together on the cabinet and sanding by hand would be more than i could take :-)