Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dial on 116 to dark no light getting thru

To make this 116 tombstone that i'm restoring  as nice as can be I think I should get a new dial reason being is that light from bulb is barely seen though the dial pointer hole that's on the plastic band switch plate. The lettering is good on dial but cant clean that side because it will remove the lettering, cleaning back side did not do any good. I want the light to show thru the dial so you can see the little arrow pointer. Any cures to salvage dial or bite the bullet and get new dial?

It is unlikely your dial, which BTW you can cean by more than one way.
It is likely the bulb or the way the light goes.
Don't know if it has lens, but try to align or see if the bulb is wrong, or....

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(03-26-2015, 08:49 PM)morzh Wrote:  It is unlikely your dial, which BTW you can cean by more than one way.
It is likely the bulb or the way the light goes.
Don't know if it has lens, but try to align or see if the bulb is wrong, or....
The plastic dial has turned darker from age and , I put a brighter bulb in and doesn't do much, I put a bright flashlight against dial and doesn't do much ether. , thinking the plastic faded darker all the way  thru the thickness of the plastic, not much I can do?  

Attached Files Image(s)

http://www.oldradioparts.net/dials1.html

You can clean the dial with oms. Won't remove the print unless you scrub it. If it has a #47 bulb try a 44 bulb should be a bit brighter.
Terry

You can also try these LED replacements for the 44, 47 or 55 lamp. They are Ron's favorite! You can also bend the leads to aim the light as needed:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3108

I just got a few and they are VERY bright. Just the thing for my 38-116 with a dark replacement phenolic dial.

Here's the one I use for 1936-38 Philcos with the bulb mounted behind the dial and pointing at it:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2561

I had mentioned in another thread that I had a 37-690 with a darkened dial scale, and the original #55 was barely getting the job done. The LED in the link above helped a great deal. Icon_thumbup The lamp Mondial linked to would also be a good choice.

-----

Terry, what is "oms"? Mineral spirits? Yes, you can clean those printed phenolic dials with mineral spirits. Just don't get aggressive or use a lot of pressure, or else even mineral spirits will cause the numbers to fade. Never use water, ammonia, or Windex-type cleaners on these dial scales!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, I just received a batch of those led replacement bulbs and have a question. There was no info or data sheet with these so I wonder are these useable in an AC circuit or just DC? Also what is the voltage range on them and do,they need a current limiting series resistor? Thanks

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

It depends on which ones you ordered.

Do not order any of the real cheap ones, that do not specify that they are usable on AC as well as DC. The ones Mondial and I linked to are fine, and will work on 6.3 volt AC without any modifications. I would not use them on voltages higher than 6.3 volts AC without a dropping resistor, as they are designed for 6.3 volt operation.

Edit: Look for the following in the description of the LED bulbs you are interested in.

Quote:These LEDs are AC/DC, meaning they can be used in both controlled (inserts) and uncontrolled (GI lighting) sockets.

Make sure the lights you want have that statement in the description. If you do not see that blurb in the description, then do not buy as they are intended for 6 volt DC only.

In short - The 39 cent LEDs will not work as they are intended for use in DC circuits only. Read the descriptions of the other LED lamps carefully. If the statement I quoted above is not in the description, then I would not try them in an AC application as they probably will not work.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, they are the ones you linked to for $.89 each. Warm white

Ron

Philco 52-944.    AK 84

10-4. Then you are in good shape, no worries. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

OK, thanks for all your help Ron.

Ron

Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Glad to help. LEDs are great in our old radios. With the right ones, they can really brighten up those dim old dials. I have a new appreciation for Philco slide rule dials since I started using LEDs. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN