Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1962 Ford Truck AM Pushbutton Radio?

Hi, I'm a new member, and I'm posting a couple of pictures of a pushbutton AM radio that I pulled out of a Canadian 1963 Ford F100 pickup truck. According to another web page, the numbers on the right side decode to:

Blank = AM
2 =1962
T = Transistor Radio
P = Philco
T = Truck
Blank = Front Speaker Only

Although not specifically noted, I wonder if "CA" denotes a Canadian made radio? Most other Canadian Ford and Mercury trucks of this era (1691-1966) have a simple radio, made by Ford, without the pushbuttons. I have pictures of a similar radio, but it was made by Philips of Canada? I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and has any documentation on it?

Great site, by the way, and I hope I really have a vintage Philco radio!!

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

This is a little newer auto radio than what usually I get into . Canada did some different things , I do know that from 1953 into the 1960's Ford did not make a cut out for the radios in there trucks, when A radio was installed the dealer got a templet and cut the dash for the radio, the original ones did not have push buttons ,that's for USA trucks , I've worked on Canadian auto radios and there are differents , I once did a 1955 chevrolet car radio, was very simular to the US Delco ,but it was made by RCA of Canada? They could have installed a push button radio in Canada?, Does your radio have "FOMOCO" on it ? If it does not that still doesn't mean it's not OME for a Canadian truck , do some research with Ford truck owners clubs somewhere out there is your answer ,just keep looking, BILL

Bill:

I'm a member of a pretty good Ford Truck Forum (FTE), but they have only seen the standard US FoMoCo radio, made by Bendix. There are not as many Canadian posters on that forum, certainly not much info on my radio either. There were some posts from nine years ago, but no pictures and no documentation. FoMoCo is not stamped on my radio anywhere. On the bottom of the radio, there is a sticker that says "Union Made" by the "International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers", but unfortunately, nothing states what company made it?

I've attached a pic with the front bezel removed, and one of the insides. I guess I'll keep sleuthing, thanks again!

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

I took the another piece off the radio off and discovered some papers inside. I also zoomed in on another exterior sticker. Note that they all have an 8 digit code, starting with 34xxxxxx, including the side view sticker from my first post? Could that be unique to Philco units? The people on the Ford Forum don't know what the numbers mean, but they are pretty sure they aren't FoMoCo numbers?

Well, I found another radio in a 1965 Ford F100, its model number is CA-5PT2. As you can see from the pictures, it was made by Philips Electronics Industries Ltd. for the Ford Motor Company of Canada. The model number doesn't seem to translate as good as the other radio, that I thought was a Philco?